• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

eBay - RX6800 eBay Sale Going Wrong

Associate
Hi,

I had a Gigabyte RX 6800 for a couple of weeks, then managed to bag an Asus TUF RX 6900 XT for an extortionate price one evening whilst drunk.

So I put the RX 6800 on eBay. It was in perfect condition, all temps normal whilst running CB2077, FurMark, Crysis 3, Eastshade etc.

The card sold, I arranged shipment, and shortly after it arrived I get this message from the buyer:

Hello, I have plugged in the card and it very quickly got extremely hot and blew my PC, I have a professional coming around later to check the card, but it looks faulty!

If it does not work I would like a refund please and I will return the card.

Kind regards,
J.

The buyer has small amounts of positive feedback, and the destination address is in a respectable area.

But I have the feeling that I am about to lose my trousers in one way or another.
I have the original receipt, so if it really is faulty I could return it to <<competitor vendor>>.
But if I get back a bottle of water or a brick inside the box, that's not going to be so easy.

HELP

Associate
OP
I didn't photo the serial no.
I'm not very experienced with eBay :mad:

My initial response:

Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems.

A graphics card like an RX 6800 can be quite hard on power supplies: it does need a good quality power supply, bare minimum would be a 650w.
I was running it off a Corsair 850w and it ran fine.
It's also important to use two independent power leads from the PSU, and not to use an extension lead to connect the second power connector.

It also needs a case with good cooling.
I have a fairly large case with three fans at the front, and good airflow.
Temperatures running games and 3D Tests were all normal when I had it.

Let's see what your professional says - it could just be a faulty power supply.

Best Regards,
D.

Associate
OP
I’d have much rather sold to someone on here even for a lower price, but I don’t have anywhere near enough posts to access MM.

Associate
OP
tbh i have no smypathy for folk trying to cash in on the price bubble, its only greed that makes folk put gpu's on ebay, plenty other outlets to sell a gpu with no issues at all just lower sale price

I was trying to get back some of the money I paid for it to fund the RX 6900 XT.
Having said that, next time I'll probably just take it to CEX.
They test it, if it passes, you get paid, no stress.

>>its only greed that makes folk put gpu's on ebay
Closer would be "buying an expensive graphics card then swapping it for an even more expensive graphics card at the top of the market just before supply eased and all the prices tumbled".

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Well there is a very unexpected "Oh Dear" here, which is that my shiny new RX 6900 XT is now playing up.
It's okay in some games, but I'm getting artifacts in Time Spy or Ungine Heaven, Port Royal doesn't run (error) and the Radeon Software won't even start now - doing a process trace on it crashes doing a ntfindatom ... Memory Issues?

Talk about a drama ...

ARRRGGHHH

Associate
OP
I went back a driver level, used the "amdcleanuputility.exe" in safe mode and re-installed the previous driver.
Temps are all good ... 75C even in FurMark.
But the Radeon Software doesn't even start, it crashes, so how would I underclock it?

I will start another thread there, thanks.

Associate
OP
Tried Asus GPU Tweak II - it crashes on startup.
MSI Afterburner - I can't go any slower on memory, reducing core clock = same results.

xtmxAc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom