Eclipse Net

Soldato
Swapping from plusnet to eclipse Evolution broadband option 4
I wanted a unlimited service, equal to or below £22 i am paying from my 8 mb with plusnet

http://www.eclipse.net.uk/index.cfm?id=fixedcomparison_res

I was also looking at Demon 8mb for £19.99, but information on their site is pretty scarse and it doest sayexactly what the fair usage policy is
They also rate slightly lower than eclipse on adslguide.org.uk in terms of speed until May 06 when they have taken Eclipse over

Anyone used them before? views opinions?, are there any better ISP's i could look at?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Soldato
Used to be with Eclipse for many years (well since our exchange was ADSL enabled) and highly recommended their service to all and sundry.
Got a little fed up with paying the premium over the other broadband providers and receiving several lengthy downtimes over the course of a few days (which they where not willing to accept as an issue), couple that with some pretty tardy account management and enough was enough. Shame really, they where damn good until Kingston came along and bought them.
Now with Zen which again is more than most cost wise per month but I phone up to speak to someone (not for any technical issues so far) and they are always bright, cheery and knowledgeable. I need my ADSL for on call work so prefer to pay over the odds for decent service...which is all well and good when they are actually worth it.

Soldato
I'm on flex atm, had a bit of downtime today.
I dunno if its a normal thing but I seem to get about 2-3 hours downtime a month randomly now and then.
other than that eclipse are good.

Soldato
Chronictank wrote:

only on peak

When I was speaking to the Eclipse sales department not so long ago, I asked them about this very issue, and my understanding of what was said was that it was "all" the time, and not just peak hours. :)

Associate
Yes it is an all day cap.

After 11pm if goes up to about 300k, then down to 220k at 8am.

Really crap, as they still say nothing about it on the website.

Their customer support is worthless also.

Couple of hours downtime today.

And they are moving people to LLU without telling them.

Associate
I'm currently with eclipse on evo4 package and tbh the speed i get is getting worse and worse. I don't mind paying for a decent service, but today has started to tip me over the edge and think about migrating away. Today i have had speeds which are just faster than 56k, for about 3hours i had no connection at all. Since i moved from their old flex package, which was 2meg things were great for the first month. I was getting the full 8meg (still do on the odd day) but recently it's been getting slower. Just to clarify i have synched at 8meg since i switched over to maxDsl, just the speed that i actully get is started to get slower and slower. So i guess i'm looking for a decent ip provider and willing to pay for a decent service.

Soldato
Bobbler said:
Used to be with Eclipse for many years (well since our exchange was ADSL enabled) and highly recommended their service to all and sundry.
Got a little fed up with paying the premium over the other broadband providers and receiving several lengthy downtimes over the course of a few days (which they where not willing to accept as an issue), couple that with some pretty tardy account management and enough was enough. Shame really, they where damn good until Kingston came along and bought them.
Now with Zen which again is more than most cost wise per month but I phone up to speak to someone (not for any technical issues so far) and they are always bright, cheery and knowledgeable. I need my ADSL for on call work so prefer to pay over the odds for decent service...which is all well and good when they are actually worth it.

Exactly the same here :D

Zen are great, pay a bit more and go with them.

Soldato
tbh eclipse are going down the pan and quickly

advice on to cut your losses, is to regrade to evo1, this way you will get the same speed and pay less untill u move away

the regrade service is free

Soldato
OP
mightynimrod said:
Exactly the same here :D

Zen are great, pay a bit more and go with them.
Zen has bandwidth caps :<
so they arent a option for me,

i guess ill stay with plusnet as i cant complain really with their Unlimited service provided you keep p2p to night time downloads

Soldato
TiZoR said:
tbh eclipse are going down the pan and quickly

I have to agree with that unfortunately.

2003 when I first signed up there were up there with the best - if a speedtest was 5kB/s below the line speed it was a very rare event and Customer Service/Tech Support were great. Downtime was completely unheard of as well.

Fast forward to Kingston taking over and then MaxDSL and I have a 3Mbps line that struggles to get 1.5Mbps, tech support take about 3 days to reply with a standard request and send a stock response & downtime has increased for a lot of people (though I've been unaffected on the whole)

Caporegime
My mates absolutely livid, they stuck him on LLU and his speeds are *****, and he can't migrate as you can't yet on LLU so hes gona have to cancel it altogether and restart from scratch with someone else, hes going ape. :D :D

Associate
I'd better get out while I still can then - my exchange isn't yet LLU-enabled but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

My speeds have dropped from 4-5Mb to 160kb for the last week, but only this morning syncing at a comparatively massive 7Mb with 15dB SNR (but still being on 160kb due to the BRAS profile sticking) - and I'm getting a lot of noise on my line when the router is connected.

I don't know if the problem is Eclipse or my kit, or BT. BT have tested my line and say there's nothing wrong, but sent an engineer out who swapped my NTE5 as it was very old (with a T-in-a-circle logo), which seems to have made very little difference. I'm currently looking into trying another router as I've gone through all the microfilter-swapping stuff etc

Back
Top Bottom