Ecoboost / Ecoflex engines

Associate
Hey all,

Happened to have a Astra with a 1 litre ecoflex as a rental this week and was super impressed with it (the engine as opposed to the car), I also see that other manufactures seems to have small turbo charged units (the obvious others being the Ford 125 PS 1 litre turbo petrol and a similar one by the VAG group fitted to the Leon and Ateca. These seem to be relatively new, online I read a lot of speculation that adding a pokey turbo to such a small petrol engine would likely effect longevity, so just wondering what you guys think of these engines - and how they've managed to get so much power from such small engines and why we haven't seen these before?

Associate
OP
Interesting replies. Especially on the previous iterations of this approach but in more enthusiast cars. I almost expected that with the more mainstream models like fords ecoboost they'd be designed to take into account being treated a little more harshly? I mean the two issues you mention seem to be things you could have the ECU detect and control / stop. also I guess I thought I'd have heard in the mainstream press if these little turbo engines where falling to pieces all the time?

Back
Top Bottom