Edd's Training Log

Soldato
OP
Well over 3 months later, I went to the gym this morning.

I put up with the elbow for about a month and then on a photography trip after a day I couldn't even hold the camera. Went to the docs and got some anti-inflammatories and I stopped taking them a week ago. Still have a few held back just in case.

Thought I'd start with 10 mins on the rowing machine just to test the pulling action on the elbow and it was fine.

Flat Press
8x12
8x12
8x12

Shoulder press
10x12
10x12
10x12

Rope pull down and bicep curls (with a straight bar) superset on dual adjustable pulley.
10x10
10x10 rope
10x10
10x10 rope
10x12.5
10x12.5 rope

Trunk rotation on dual adjustable pulley

10x5L
10x5R

Chest press dual adjustable pulley

10x10

Not entirely suprised I'm pretty much back where I started :( Looking at where I was back In August Im gutted to say the least and actually started to feel a bit sick at one point! I worked until the elbow started to twinge and left it there - Trunk rotation funnily enough being the one exercise that properly set it off. Still aches a bit now but dare not over do it.

Soldato
OP
I'm sticking these in here so I can quickly refer back. I've done literally nothing.

Hi EddScott,

I've had a similar journey (you can visit my log). What started off as mild tendonitis from pulling movements, muscle ups and and levers I could feel it starting to aggravate. I removed all pulling movements. As it was my dominant arm, I kept making mistakes by reoffending the same arm.

You need to completely stop all upper body related movements. I cannot emphasise the importance of this. I promise you - being off 3-6 months is far better than suffering 12 months down the line until it becomes unbearable that you cannot sleep. Imagine living with a dull toothache for months - only that pain is around your arm. It can and it will spread if you continue.

I was very close to breaking some personal bests - That's okay though because I know when it's better I will easily beat them.

I spent a lot of time researching into this. My job didn't help which has given me carpal tunnel syndrome. It has become serious.

I strongly recommend you get a flexbar and go through jamie dreyer's stuff - He's brilliant! Start on the red, you may be able to go to the green depending on your strength. Do not get the blue one.

Here's also a great guide to help you get started: http://antranik.org/tennis-elbow/

I have some more ideas and strategies but progress on these first.

Stop lifting. Start reading and get cracking on a routine to get rid of it. Focus on your goals and plan your training year, work on your legs, mobility and soft tissue work for the next few months. This is a part of growth and becoming stronger - chin up fella :)

Shoulder and thoracic mobility - need to find out how to do this.

Soldato
OP
15th November 2016

Interval exercise on the rowing machine for 10 minutes.

Flat Press
14x10
14x10
14x10

Shoulder Press
14x5
12x8
12x8

I hate this has gone so hard again.

Rope pull down and bicep curls (with a straight bar) superset on dual adjustable pulley.
10x15
10x12.5 rope
10x15
10x12.5 rope
10x15
10x12.5 rope

Squats - StrongLifts said to deload 50%.
5x30
5x30
5x30
5x30
5x30

Bench Press - SL said to drop to 22.5 - I could barely do 15. In fact, only did 3 sets. My last in August was 45 :(

5x15
5x15
5x15

Still, it's a start and I'm glad I'm back. Aching though. I want to learn to target specific muscle groups so I can give muscles a break in between sessions.

Soldato
OP
Thought I'd update this a little. I have to admit, I haven't really changed what I've been doing for the last few months. Still feel like I don't really know what I'm doing. Going to the gym is/was quite a vanity thing for me as I've always been unhappy with my body shape. I can see there is some change in my physique but I had hoped for more. Arms still look like twigs to me.

I have an ongoing issue not being able to shift my belly and the lightly chunky bits at the base of my back but then as I don't really do any core I guess I can't complain. Diet isn't great but I'm not too silly with what I eat.

Anyway, this is what I currently do 3 days a week.

20 mins on the rowing machine - not flat out as I'll burn out and no energy for weights.

Flat Press

22x10x3

Shoulder Press - I start with the bells on my chest facing outwards. Makes it harder but seems to reach more muscles - I think!

16x8x3

Pull ups - there's this machine that you put weight on to offset some of yours. I'm 5.8 and about 80Kg - I'd love to get this down to 70-75

I do 3x10 with 20kg underneath. I can do it with 15kg but fail at 10 reps. 8 with a couple of mins in between I can do.

The dual cable machine.

Holding the cable in opposite hands and pull hands across chest.

5x10x3

Rope attachment with my arms overhead pulling forward until arms are straight

15x10x3

10x25
10x17.5 rope
10x25
10x17.5 rope
10x25
10x17.5 rope

Hope most of the above makes sense. Seems to give me achy arms and chest so I assume it's doing something

Back
Top Bottom