Editing Software

Soldato
Hello all,

Just wondering what people's choice of RAW photo editing software is and why?

Although I'm still eligible for student discount on Adobe software (doesn't actually save me money for what I want..), I'd rather not be adding yet another monthly subscription to the rest I have.

I'm used to using photoshop, albeit older versions to the current crop. But what are peoples recommendations for editing their RAW images? I'd basically be going through my own snaps one by one and tweaking them for my own pleasure rather than needing some kind of professional setup where I can smash through 400 at once.

Soldato
OP
I think Lightroom is used by most people but it's another Adobe BS monthly subscription afaik another choice is DxO (photolab I think) which is a one off payment.

Yeah, the whole model really annoys me. I had Affinity Photo on my Mac which is apparently another option but whilst it's now on windows, I need to purchase it again...

Have seen quite a few recommend DxO!

Associate
Capture one offer one-off purchases I believe…

What sort of editing are you looking for? Just exposure and colour, or more detailed touch ups ?

Afinity Photo is also ok, but it’s more of a photoshop replacement than a lightroom replacement.

If you could only pick one, I guess picking a photoshop-esque thing would be needed, but photoshop and lightroom do fill separate needs.

GIMP was great 10 years ago when I used it last, probably still worth a go, and great for playing around on + learning.

Soldato
Darktable is also a pretty solid RAW editor for free.

I use a mixture of Luminar Neo and Cyberlink Photo Director (this is basically Lightroom) which are both available for 1 off purchases.

Associate
I ditched Lightroom and Photoshop as i got fed up with the subscription model. I moved to Capture One Express (free) and Affinity Photo (£70). Once I got past the learning curve I was happy.

I have used Darktable before which is good and I think that plus GIMP would work if you want to go FOSS.

Back
Top Bottom