editing the boot.ini and boot screen

Associate
hi, when i start my pc i get the boot screen which gives me an option of loading windows or another option which appered after i installed the ms drivers for my dual core proccessor

this is my boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /usepmtimer
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="" /usepmtimer

as you can see theres i too options but i just want to edit it so windows loads straight in and the boot menu is turned off but i have never edited b4 and dont wanna mess it up.... the uptimer line isnt an os so ok to delete but wanna make sure i can just simply delete that line and the boot loader will auto switch off and just go straight into windows

regards

enigma

Associate
I have no idea why it has added the second option as I know nothing about dual core cpus so if you delete it and your pc blows up it is entirely your fault. However, yes, if you delete the second line then windows will default to the first line and not display the boot loader screen.

Soldato
I had to edit the boot.ini file a couple of days ago when I messed it but. LOL

Google for "edit boot.ini" and you will find a couple of good walkthroughs on how to do it.

Luckily it is very easy but obviously back up the file first as said.

Permabanned
Just edit it using 'Startup and Recovery'!
Right click 'My Computer' --> Properties --> Advanced Tab --> Startup and Recovery (Settings) then edit/change System startup..

A Basic boot.ini should look like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Back
Top Bottom