Ek classic parts/blocks any experience?

Soldato
While mulling GPU upgrade options starting researching blocks for current gen cards and came across the new EK classic blocks at £99.99 they represent good value and probably worth the extra over something like a Barrow block which I was eyeing up.

I love water-cooling GPUs and the advantages it brings but don't like pushing north of £100 for a block.

Any experience here of the classic line from EK?

Soldato
I don’t have classic, but do have the parts that basically got rebranded as classic So EK supremacy evo block for which the classic block is identical and ditto for GPU blocks. Can confirm it’s a repackage here: https://www.eteknix.com/ekwb-launches-ek-classic-watercooling-product-line/amp/

While Slovenian liquid cooling experts EWKB has their new cutting-edge next-gen products, they are not forgetting their past entirely. In fact, they are now reviving their older Supremacy design and placing it on a simpler package. The result is the new EK Classic series, so what is old is new again.

Quality build and finish Are fantastic, 0 issues with the blocks, look great, temps are kept in check even on hottest components 7980xe pulling 500w overclocked etc ditto for GPUs, gone through 6 blocks and still currently have 4 for my gpus. Would have no issues recommending the blocks. Not used the fittings or radiators though from classic line. Likely see older EK blocks did fine and see no reason why it would be an issue with classic. With that said, I have also used barrow parts, so would not actually hesitate any longer picking up thier bits to be honest if I preferred the block more aesthetically.

Soldato
OP
Nice one thanks for that reply is helpful.

Also re Barrow blocks, are standoffs milled in or do they use washers like EK used to back in the day?!

I was tempted for £79.99 to try a barrow block tbh

Soldato
Sorry not used a Barrow GPU block. Have used most of the rest however, rig I am typing this on has bunch of barrow fittings and tubing, completed a friends 011 Dynamic build with a Barrow CPU block and distro plate. Based on that if I was building myself, the GPU block would be something I would consider.

Soldato
OP
You think the Chinese don't have tooling and knowledge to make quality parts? They do, it's just that people /companies want to save as much as possible and sacrifice that.

Things are made in china due to cheap labour. You are thinking 30years past.

Soldato
I know full well that some seriously high quality stuff comes out of China. I'm also aware that you can get wildly variable quality coming out of China too. Now I'm not saying EK would put their reputation on the line by using some cowboy operation in the East, but it is entirely conceivable that somebody in the Chinese section of the process could cut a corner in manufacturing, grab some cheap-ass copper or acrylic for the blocks, skimp on the Nickel plating, etc. to bolster their own margins. We've seen it happen with Apple products before.

I'm just saying that moving production to China for Classic introduces variables and loosens EK's control somewhat. For some people, even the thought that the 3 litres of water pumping through their system might not be held in the tubes because some penny pincher in China cut a corner is off-putting. Which is a shame because they're missing out on some cracking kit from Barrow and Bykski.

I think it's a consideration that's all.

Soldato
If you actually look at some chinese online wholesalers.. i can't quote them but im sure some of you will know... you can buy replica blocks that look exactly like the EK ones for a fraction of the price. I can't say how good or bad they are quality wise but judging by how things work in china, i'd say it would be pretty darn close to the real thing as they usually take the specs of the original and print their (or not) logo on it. It's the same with car manufacturing in China, they copy branded cars and sell them at a fraction of the price.

Soldato
OP
Read an old user review of a barrow block, said an o-ring was pinched, rough milling, poor or no instructions. This was 2012/13 or something though.

Recent experiences hard to come by but have they improved since then?

Associate
I have the ekwb classic 2080/ti block, works fine. I actually prefer they way it looks to the Vector blocks. The RGB LEDs at the end of the vector look terrible and add unnecessary length to the card.

Soldato
OP
I have the ekwb classic 2080/ti block, works fine. I actually prefer they way it looks to the Vector blocks. The RGB LEDs at the end of the vector look terrible and add unnecessary length to the card.
Good to hear.

What are the vector blocks then? Just fancy lighting?

Back
Top Bottom