Ek Supremacy Evo orientation, does it matter?

Soldato
I'm sure I aligned my ports vertically for a reason, to do with the microchannel direction and the alignment of the cores (intel hexacore).

Issue I'm having is my inlet is at the top and outlet at the bottom of the block so airbubbles get trapped for agggesss before they find their way out.

It would be better to have inlet at the bottom and outlet at the top.

I'm just wondering though would it be detrimental to have inlet and outlet horizontally?

Man of Honour
You have it orientated to what they call "goofy" mounting in reviews. Depending on the platform mounting it this way can improve performance along with choosing the correct jetplate. The majority of times the normal horizontal mounting is better so you would need to check a thorough review that does both orientations to find out. There is one here from 2014 done on a 4770k which showed the "goofy" orientation to be better.

I hated that stupid plastic insert because all the pointless cutouts in it made it a nightmare to get all of the air out. They should have made it from a solid block.

Soldato
OP
Thanks. I've got the right jet plate in etc.

I'm doing a loop teardown and am thinking about changing the CPU block orientation for aesthetics/better bleed the system.

Suppose I could try horizontal and see what temps I get.

I'm somewhat doubtful it will make a significant, detrimental difference.

Man of Honour
It would seem that there can be a 0-2 degree difference between vertical and horizontal mounting and even then that's platform dependant. I have tried both vertical and horizontal when I was on a 4790k and I didn't really notice any difference. There may be a case for running one vertical on Ryzen due to the core layout but that would have to be tested.

Soldato
OP
Well far as I can see on an 8600K the die runs vertically. So actually it may be better to turn the block 90 degrees (so inlet and outlet are horizontal) then heat is whisked immediately away across the shortest dimension of the die and taken downstream.

All theoretical and likely paste reapplication will be a higher factor.

What I do like about my goofy mounting with inlet up top is that its easy for water to drain. Hope horizontal mounting is ok?

Back
Top Bottom