EKWB X470 Monoblock - Aesthetic Surface defect

Soldato
Bit of an odd one, I’ve just unwrapped a new ekwb ASU’s Strix X470 Monoblock, popped on some fittings and ran some water through before fitting and noticed some surface defect on the metal water channel T9hdxsF.jpg
It’s above the outlet connection, 3 splodges of something.

As it’s new I don’t know whether to return it or open and clean it. I’ve taken a few water blocks apart as I’ve bought a few 2nd hand bits over the years so used to cleaning stuff, but don’t want to find out it’s the surface that’s damaged then get an RMA refused as I’ve cleaned it.

Any ideas? (They are out of stock of this now so it will delay my build).

Associate
Contact customer support ASAP and I’m sure they’ll RMA the product, if you’re in a rush then you have decide whether to accept it or not. I had an issue with my Asus Ryujin pump header was scratched, I contacted support was offered an RMA but in the end I just decided to live with it.

Soldato
OP
I've contacted support, but I can't help thinking it is just some residue left over from manufacture. I have asked if they are OK for me to open it up first, as if it cleans off, I'll keep it, but obviously if it's something thats eaten into the surface, I'd rather send it back! I'll see what they say.

It's just something I've never seen before on any water block I've had.

Soldato
OP
I would be more worried about all that junk stuck in the fins to the right of the inlet to be honest. Did you flush your radiator out a few times before fitting?

I've flushed the rads separately (10 flushes of warm distilled water with some vigourous shaking and had nothing in the water after the 3rd or 4th flush), but this block was just tested directly with a pump/res combo in a test loop, so never seen a rad yet!!

A good spot though! Will deffo need cleaning if I keep it, the pump/res is spotless, I flushed that several times anyway just with an inline filter/distilled water for 3 hours and nothing came out of it so definitely not that, but I have got a bunch of new black fittings (the XSPC compression ones in the photo, I never flushed those, and never have with my fittings)

Soldato
OP
Speed reply from OCUK, best not open it up (Can't disagree!).

I'll return it and try to pick one up from EK or somewhere (there is no ETA on them coming back in stock at OCUK)

Soldato
OP
I've found a few people online with similar issues, all in the same place, it seems to be liquid that seeps out the o-rings / acrylic joints and gets worse over time as it's in the void between water channels, they've had them replaced and had no issues on the replacements so EK probably are aware of this one!

I'll just get a refund and stick to the regular CPU Block for now, whilst you can get this happening on CPU blocks, I've never had anything as unsightly happen in such a prominent place!

Last edited:
Soldato
When you think about it, there is no seal or o-ring between sections of most blocks. It's just largely partitioned of by two flat surfaces mating (acrylic and copper). I've seen similar but with coloured fluids creeping into the edges of a partition.

Back
Top Bottom