Electric cars - talk to me

Caporegime
Looks like I might be getting a new job with pay rise. And at moment I don't have a reliable car at all.

The pay rise should mean I can get an electric and pay rise will cover the payments. Great.

I've seen so many cars coming up this year. It feels like it's basically at the point of electric being viable.

Not looking at tesla or audi. Too expensive.
More looking at the hyundai and Peugeot price ranges.

Should I wait and get a banger? The current models seem. OK. But the near future seems exciting!

Soldato
Do you want an EV because you particularly want an EV, or for cost/reliablity/etc. reasons?
What sort of mileage do you do? (both overall and what kind of journeys)
Can you charge at home?
What sort of car do you need? E.g. small hatchback, SUV, estate?

Caporegime
OP
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/when-are-you-going-fully-electric.18829138/

Do you mean you can get an EV company car, or that you have a new job and want to spend the extra money on getting an EV personally?

EV's are more expensive than the ICE equivalent, but often cheap to lease because their residuals are currently very high.

I mean a personal eV.
I don't commute at the moment. And kept the banger car (literally one of the locks has fallen out) while lockdown is on. But I will need a car soon.

Ideally I wanted to keep the current banger until a bit longer. But it's on its last legs.

Caporegime
OP
Do you want an EV because you particularly want an EV, or for cost/reliablity/etc. reasons?
What sort of mileage do you do? (both overall and what kind of journeys)
Can you charge at home?
What sort of car do you need? E.g. small hatchback, SUV, estate?

I can charge at home. But to get it done properly would need a power point added (the garage has power, and park in front of garage on 1 car space drive.

I think I'd want an suv. I go kayaking, camping etc so need some space. I had a sports car before s2k, but I feel life has moved on. And hobbies are more important.

Nothing seems ideal yet. But I feel its close.

Commute is 30 miles and twice a week. This would be typical journey.
Going to town etc is about 5 miles.

There would be longer journeys for UK holidays. Which is obviously important in terms of range

I looked at this in depth a year ago and decided it wasn't time. But things are moving quickly

Caporegime
Recently revealed Hyundai Ioniq 5 sounds like it would suit your needs.

• 72.6kWh battery option
  • Up to 290 miles of range
  • 350kW charging possible
  • 3.6kW onboard power supply
  • Single- and dual-motor setups
  • 0-60mph in as little as 5.2 seconds
  • On sale in mid-2021

It allows you to run 3 pin plugs (kettles etc) off the actual car, so great for camping.

Soldato
Commute is well within the range of any EV then (even a few years old one).
Depending on the car, you may be able to get a charge point installed with it (Renault paid for mine when I got the Zoe).
In terms of practicality, the MG5 is probably the best bet, but it's a budget Chinese car, so depending how fussy you are about interior quality & toys, you might not be too keen. Maybe a 1-2 old Kona would be a better all-round package?

However, if you're only commuting 60 miles/week, and not doing too much other mileage, then your missing out on one of the biggest benefits of an EV - the savings in fuel - which goes a long way to offset the increased purchase costs (which is why I got rid of the Zoe now I'm working from home full time).

Also bear in mind if you go on long distance trips to go camping etc. then stopping to charge en-route requires a bit more planning/time management. Not such an issue on your own, but if you have impatient kids, then can be a pain!

If you don't particularly want an EV, then to be honest you'd probably get a better & more practical ICE for similar overall cost

Caporegime
OP
Commute is well within the range of any EV then (even a few years old one).
Depending on the car, you may be able to get a charge point installed with it (Renault paid for mine when I got the Zoe).
In terms of practicality, the MG5 is probably the best bet, but it's a budget Chinese car, so depending how fussy you are about interior quality & toys, you might not be too keen. Maybe a year or 2 old Kona would be a better all-round package?

However, if you're only commuting 60 miles/week, and not doing too much other mileage, then your missing out on one of the biggest benefits of an EV - the savings in fuel - which goes a long way to offset the increased purchase costs.

If you don't particularly want an EV, then to be honest you'd probably get a better & more practical ICE for similar overall cost

Very very Good point.
Yes. Depreciation might not be worth it, I've never ever had a new car so never had to deal with depreciation. I kind of didn't think about it this way.

Obviously if I'm not doing many miles the savings will never meet the depreciation

Soldato
Make sure you read the lifestyle specs properly.
Most EV's can't be fitted with a towbar, many are not approved for a roof rack and boot space can be comprimised.

Have seen plenty of troubled EV owners on camping / outdoor forums.

Soldato
I've always figured doing less mileage is more of a reason to get one...

I've been tempted to get one now as I can walk to work, I can the use the EV on the weekends.

That doesn't make sense to me - they excel when doing lots of short journeys, e.g. no worry about engine warming up, don't need to charge en-route etc.

If you're only using one occasionally at the weekends (assuming for longer trips), then you're getting all of the downsides (higher up front costs, planning your route around finding a charger and the time spent charging etc.), without the advantage of saving on running costs?

Make sure you read the lifestyle specs properly.
Most EV's can't be fitted with a towbar, many are not approved for a roof rack and boot space can be comprimised.

Have seen plenty of troubled EV owners on camping / outdoor forums.

wx3Y0Ci.png

:D

3 adults + child seat, 2 tents, sleeping bags etc., wetsuits etc... Not going to lie, it was a bit of a squeeze, but the boot space on the Zoe is deceptively spacious due to the lack of fuel tank. Sure it's not going to beat a bigger car, but it's not bad for the size!

Caporegime
I've always figured doing less mileage is more of a reason to get one...

I've been tempted to get one now as I can walk to work, I can the use the EV on the weekends.

They are cheaper to run than ICE cars, but they cost more in the first place so the savings only really happen when you do decent mileage.

My Polestar 2 won't need servicing which saves me money, it's £350 cheaper per year to insure than my E200 Premium Plus for some reason, and it'll only cost me about £1.50 to top up 70miles every night on my home charger (Octopus Go - 4 hours at 5p per KWh, so in one night you can do 4 x 7.2 = 28.8Kw at a cost of about £1.44 giving you a range top up of about 70 miles)

However the installation of the charger was £600 so that basically eats in to the fuel savings as well.

Caporegime
They are cheaper to run than ICE cars, but they cost more in the first place so the savings only really happen when you do decent mileage.

My Polestar 2 won't need servicing which saves me money, it's £350 cheaper per year to insure than my E200 Premium Plus for some reason, and it'll only cost me about £1.50 to top up 70miles every night on my home charger (Octopus Go - 4 hours at 5p per KWh, so in one night you can do 4 x 7.2 = 28.8Kw at a cost of about £1.44 giving you a range top up of about 70 miles)

However the installation of the charger was £600 so that basically eats in to the fuel savings as well.

Fair enough, no idea really.

I've never been one to buy new, so if I was going to i'd want something 'new' and figured electric would make sense. ~250 miles on a charge would be enough, I rarely do that in one sitting and if I did I'd plan a stop anyway.

Otherwise i'll buy a car that 5 years old again and run it into the ground :D

Caporegime
Fair enough, no idea really.

I've never been one to buy new, so if I was going to i'd want something 'new' and figured electric would make sense. ~250 miles on a charge would be enough, I rarely do that in one sitting and if I did I'd plan a stop anyway.

Otherwise i'll buy a car that 5 years old again and run it into the ground :D

Get a Lexus CT. £30 of petrol for 400 miles. Get an f sport model and they come fully loaded Don't get an inferior you want f sport.

Lexus are pretty much bulletproof. The only weak point on the car is egr valve.

It could possibly do 150k miles or 350k miles it just depends on how it's driven. I'd recommend an egr clean every 100k miles.

It's a self charging hybrid. So essentially all the wasted energy gets converted into electric then used again.

£0 road tax.

I can't find another car which offers what it does for the money. Including toys and style.

You have the Toyota auris and Prius which cost the same and are the same car except they are terrible to look at and be inside.

The wife's lexus has full electric heated leather seats, sat Nav, dab, stock OEM subwoofer in the boot so it's an upgraded sound system due to f sport, rear reverse camera, front and rear sensors, auto lights, wipers and cruise control as well as a host of other things like controls on the steering wheel and Bluetooth, etc. Keyless entry and push button start.

A lot of people complain about the car being slow. Which isn't the case if you stick it into sport mode. I agree though eco mode is terrible feels like it's only got 90 bhp, then normal feels like 120 bhp and then sport feels like 150 bhp. Not going to set the world alight but plenty of speed for normal driving.

You can also now get reconditioned batteries from the Prius for cheap and just replace the hybrid battery yourself for £700. The Prius, auris and Lexus CT are all the same car just different body kits, alloys, suspension and interiors. The engine and everything is the same.

Man of Honour
Personally probably looking at the Tiguan hybrids in the longer run but probably overkill in the context of this thread.

If you just want a reliable car to get from A to B with low cost, etc. there are a range of decent MPG hatchbacks with £30/year tax.

Back
Top Bottom