Electric shavers? Advice please.

Soldato
I've decided to do away with the humble Bic razors that I've been using for the last few years and go the electric route. There's so much choice though, I'm not sure where to start. I have a budget of about £100 and my only stipulation is that it must be a well known brand.

I'd really appreciate some advice from those of you who use one. What sort have you got? What are the advantages / disadvantages?

Cheers
James.

Man of Honour
If you want a decent shave take the £100 and buy a merkur razor, some blades, a badger hair brush and some shaving soap.
Should still have some change and it'll be many times more pleasant than Bic razors and a proper shave unlike the electric ones.

Soldato
A three year old can grow a better beard than me, so I use an electric as it works perfectly for my needs.

Been using an old electric for ages which was horrible until I finally bought a "Philips AquaTouch S5420" from Amazon and it's been amazingly good, however it works well for me as my 'beard' grows at a pace of a snail travelling the world.

I'm not sure how well it would work on a better beard! - The Phillips OneBlade also looks pretty good.

Permabanned
The Phillips OneBlade also looks pretty good.

I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. For someone with a thick beard like mine it's not good enough for a daily shave though. A fresh shave with it leaves about the same amount of stubble i would have 24 hours after shaving with a cartridge razor or DE. Fine for weekends, not so much for during the week unless you are a lumberjack.

Associate
Soldato
OP
If you want a decent shave take the £100 and buy a merkur razor, some blades, a badger hair brush and some shaving soap.
Should still have some change and it'll be many times more pleasant than Bic razors and a proper shave unlike the electric ones.

I was considering a Merkur a few months ago, however I'm really wanting to try electric.

Liking that one. It looks similar to one I saw earlier, but that was a 9 series and about £100 more expensive.

Man of Honour
In general, wet shaves are the closest, but the biggest pain. Foil electrics aren't as close as wet, but closer than floating head electrics. But floating head electrics are the most convenient and easiest to use. I've used all, and ended up with floating head (Philips 920), but need an old foil to get a couple of bits closer. I'd suggest a twin-foil.

Soldato
I use a Braun foil 5 series, and I have done since I switched from wet razors about two years ago. I shave dry until I've covered all my stubble, and then I go over again and periodically run the shaver under the hot tap as I progress through the second helping.

Works for me.

Soldato
Even going from bics to a decent disposable will be a massive step up!

I've abandoned the latest mutiblade offerings from Gillette etc because the blades are ridiculously expensive. Nowadays I buy a multipack of whatever decent brand disposable is on offer for about a fiver and they last ages.

Currently using Wilkinson sword 3 blade razors and they're fine.

Man of Honour

I have a Braun 3 which is superb, I can't imagine what the 7 series is like.

I use a Braun foil 5 series, and I have done since I switched from wet razors about two years ago. I shave dry until I've covered all my stubble, and then I go over again and periodically run the shaver under the hot tap as I progress through the second helping.

Works for me.

For many years I've done the same as you but on my second pass I'll take the top off and put liquid soap in it, dip it into hot water and off I go.

Soldato
I was considering a Merkur a few months ago, however I'm really wanting to try electric.

I tried all sorts, have a merkur 34c and a braun series 7.

The braun is good for a quick shave, but its not even remotely close as the merkur can do. If i use electric I have to shave at least once a day sometimes twice.

If i use the merkur I can get away with every other day.

Soldato
I use a Panasonic electric, much better then the Philips I had before.

I use a king of shaves for a close wet shave, never cut myself with it.

Not sure I'm brave enough to try a Merkur, I got my dad one for Christmas years ago, he stopped using it because he kept cutting himself.

Soldato
Not sure I'm brave enough to try a Merkur, I got my dad one for Christmas years ago, he stopped using it because he kept cutting himself.

You wont cut yourself easily with a Merkur safety razor, which is what most use. The hotspots are around the lips and the slightly more difficult angles where you have to be slow and steady, but for cheeks, neck etc you can go at it without too much concern.

I cant get a decent shave unless I wet shave, my hair is so thick and it's uncomfortable to use an electric. I use a badger/boar brush combination as the bristles are a bit more resistant and lather better on my skin/hair.

Back
Top Bottom