Electric shavers? Advice please.

Soldato
Buy a trimmer instead and live with a grade 1 forever.

Buying razor blades is a something I never had to toil with. When I used to wet shave over a 6 year period I never had to replace a blade.

Man of Honour
For me I've always preferred a Phillips over a Braun, but none get close enough for me so I have wet shaved most of the time for years now.

Soldato
I use a Braun series 3 ,getting a bit old now on my third head lol
Also a cheaper 3 cutter Phillips feels nicer to shave with but not as good a cut as my old `expensive`shaver that died on me a couple of years back
Just can`t use a wet razor,cut myself to ribbons around my mouth,got a mole there :(

Man of Honour
I use a Braun 3 series. I bought it a few years ago to try out an electric shaver as it was on offer. At first I didn't get on with it. It really doesn't cut anywhere near as close as a wet shave. After a few tries I left it in the cupboard for a year. But then took it out again for some reason and tried again. This time I knew it wouldn't shave as closely but I used it when I was short of time. Then I realised I no longer get ingrown hairs like I did with the razor and use it 95% of the time. Occasionally I'll let my stubble grow and then have a wet shave to get that really close feeling. It's a pleasure when I do. But I now love the convenience of the electric shaver. I'll probably get a better one at some point although this is small enough to travel with when I go away. The charge lasts ages as well.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I can do a two pass wet shave with my DE razor in under 5 minutes in the shower, so I'm not sure that electric really is that quick? And of course the finish is much better.

Once you're experienced you can tell exactly how much pressure to apply where to get a combination of close shave with no blood.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Somebody here must have had a collection of Brauns.
How much better is a series 7 to a 3?
Why?

I have had the series 3, 7 (745) and now have the 9 (9095CC). The 9 is the better by far and closest to a razor. A couple of clean passes results in a smooth shave for me, but larger stubbles require a few more passes.

The series 3 was the worst, and left itchy irritation.

No messing with cream/gel/foam (although you can if you want), no messing about with blades, no time wasted. Just shave wherever and plonk it on the clean and renew station once every few days.

I buy the solution packs once every 6 months or so, a pack of 3 tanks cost a little more than £10. The cutting unit needs to be replaced once a year, depending on model, can cost up to £40.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I went from a cheapy Philips shaver that I managed to break, to a Braun Series 3 380 a few years back. Never really been completely happy with it, and it irritates the skin more than the Philips did. I'll probably swap back to a higher-end Philips shaver at some point.

Soldato
I bought a Merkur a few years ago because of the real shaving thread.
I watched loads of videos, used proper face soap that was recommended and this was the outcome - Shaving pic

Ouch, that's probably how I would end up, my skin isn't that tough either. My stubble isn't thick either, never had an electric shaver struggle.

I mostly use a Philips stubble trimmer and trim it short every could have days, it's quick and easy and no irritation.

Back
Top Bottom