Electric Toothbrush

Soldato
Due to the ongoing lack of being able to see the dentist in the current situation, thought I would invest in one of these. Just a standard Braun Oral-B. IMHO beginning to think a waste of money. The heads are supposed to last three months but found after about two weeks even with gentle pressure the heads no longer rotate-oscillate when applied to the teeth. Have checked the spindle is moving and when there's no pressure on the head it oscillates.

Is there a secret to not having whatever in the head that grips the spindle wearing out so quickly?

Soldato
unless the toothbrush body is broken your doing it wrong and pressing too hard ... the bristles are what wears out, never the mechanism, been using the same braun rechargeable for 20 years,
the heads always seem expensive, but last 3 months - from experience ebay is full of fakes, I'd even be suspicious of supplied amazon.

Electric tothbrushs are so effective - cant see how anyone lives without one - probably still need to teach children manual technique but after that electric is just fun.

Soldato
Do you rinse them out after using? We had issues with our son's doing similar and it turned out he wasn't bothering to rinse, and the old toothpaste was caking up the mechanism.

Take the head off and give it (and the spindle on the toothbrush) a good rinse after every use.

Man of Honour
unless the toothbrush body is broken your doing it wrong and pressing too hard ... the bristles are what wears out, never the mechanism, been using the same braun rechargeable for 20 years,
the heads always seem expensive, but last 3 months - from experience ebay is full of fakes, I'd even be suspicious of supplied amazon.

Electric tothbrushs are so effective - cant see how anyone lives without one - probably still need to teach children manual technique but after that electric is just fun.

Agree with this, I’m on my second Braun, the first one’s battery life was fading away.
I switch the heads monthly, and hold the body of the brush lightly, and don’t brush hard, let the toothbrush do the work.
Just a shame that the heads are a tad expensive, but I can suffer that to have sparkling railings that feel refreshingly clean.

Permabanned
Same once you go electric you do not go back and I learned early on the standard heads were expensive and the knock off's were just as good then eventually I got ones that have a little extra side by side bit on them (in addition to the osculating part) so even better.

Come in big blister pack, I bin one when it rubs the colours from the bristle (indicator) or I feel it is not doing as good a job.

If you use an electric I advise you look on Amazon for knock off/3rd party heads, may even get a better design.

Soldato
I couldn't imagine using a manual toothbrush now. Even ignoring the cleaning benefits just from a comfort angle with the thick handles, it's much more comfortable to use

Soldato
I can't believe people never take the head off and wash it after every use :rolleyes:

I used Oral B but now use Lidl sonic - buy a new one every time they have them in - sort of panic buying but still on the first one -it's also good way of getting new brushes and a backup if you forget to recharge it.

Soldato
I've had root canal, a rotten tooth removed and a filling done in the last month due to not visiting the dentist enough nor using an electric.

The hygienist recommend any oral b with a model number above 2000 and also showed me how light you need to press. The head should just be touching the surface of the tooth, almost no force should be applied against your teeth. Make sure you are also cleaning your gums cause that is where my problems began.

Soldato
Been using one for years now, only ever use manual when travelling.

If you get them at the right time then can also get the heads cheap enough on Amazon. I always take the head off and rinse it and the body with some water after brushing.

Caporegime
I couldn't imagine using a manual toothbrush now. Even ignoring the cleaning benefits just from a comfort angle with the thick handles, it's much more comfortable to use
It's just such a pain in the arse to keep them charged.

And I have no idea how people are getting them to last "20 years". The batteries normally aren't replaceable and your typical built-in rechargeable battery is designed to fail completely after a couple years.

Soldato
Had to Oral B electric, first one the battery just naturally faded, got a new one but I believe after a certain model number they all have the same motor in them, just some fancy features. It's the single best hygiene thing I have bought, simply cannot imagine using a manual ever again.

Back
Top Bottom