"Electrical" pain when I put my hands near keyboard/mouse. Any thoughts?

I wonder if anyone has any idea what's going on here or has ever heard of this before...?

Since moving into this house, I get a sharp pain whenever I put my hands on (or near) the keyboard/mouse. This means I can't use the computer as much as I used to because of the pain. If I take my computer to another place, I don't get the problem, only here in this house. Also, I've tried replacing the keyboard and mouse and that has no effect.

I think it's something to do with the wiring here. I have an EMF meter which shows unusually high EMFs around the mouse and keyboard (4 milliGauss / 0.4 microTesla). I don't get that when I plug my computer in at other houses. For the record, I think I am more sensitive to EMFs than most people - ever since I was little I always got a headache when I put a phone to my ear, or gone near certain devices. But keyboards and mice have never bothered me until I moved in here.

Any thoughts?

Does it happen when mouse and keyboard are unplugged? And does it happen if PC is off?

You can also get one of those voltage tester screwdriver things as well. They pick up small current phantom voltages in wires which shouldn’t have any voltage in them. I have one which picks up that long runs of cables close to each other develop phantom voltage through induction … it registers 36v ! And some of the led ceiling lights actually glow when switches off cause the phantom current is enough to power them.

Maybe worth testing with one of them. It’s a little screwdriver thing with a small lcd display.

I think it's something to do with the wiring here. I have an EMF meter which shows unusually high EMFs around the mouse and keyboard (4 milliGauss / 0.4 microTesla).

Any thoughts?

Are you detecting any EMF from around the radiators? If so this could indicate poor house grounding.

Are you using any ethernet over powerline adapters?

Do you use WiFi?

Is your property sitting under or close to a phone mast, or substation transformer? Did you mention you live in a flat?

You need to get an electrician to check your mains correctly.

I get electric shocks every time I go into work wearing a particular pair of shoes. It's the combination of those shoes and that carpet. Took me ages to work out . I used to get little zaps from a Dell laptop a few years ago. I thought I was imagining it and years later a Dell employee told me that particular model had a quiet recall for anyone that complained due to some dodgy internal wiring that meant it could zap you if plugged in and the battery was fully charged. So yeah, weird combos happen. I'd get the wiring checked though if in any doubt about that whatsoever.

I get electric shocks every time I go into work wearing a particular pair of shoes. It's the combination of those shoes and that carpet. Took me ages to work out . I used to get little zaps from a Dell laptop a few years ago. I thought I was imagining it and years later a Dell employee told me that particular model had a quiet recall for anyone that complained due to some dodgy internal wiring that meant it could zap you if plugged in and the battery was fully charged. So yeah, weird combos happen. I'd get the wiring checked though if in any doubt about that whatsoever.

There have been some PC cases that did this too

Sounds like the power socket isn't earthed properly my mother used to get mild shocks from a cooker in an ancient place she used to live in the wiring was atrocious best get an electrician in to run some tests

Last edited:
I think we need to pay more attention to this "popping" psu. A psu shouldn't be making any sound other than from it's fan so maybe it has a short somewhere and is doing something to the 5v lines. Are you able to try swapping the psu out for another one to see if it goes away?

Back
Top Bottom