US: Elementary

Associate
I never knew much about Sherlock but when the movie and BBC TV series became popular I read the various character's Wikipedia pages so was kinda shocked by Elementary's Mycroft, not so much by his job but by how unremarkable he seemed, but as I said it looks like they've hopefully fixed him.

Caporegime
Only thing that really bugs me about this show now is the constant need to take whatever technology is in the papers and shoe horn it into an episode usually incredibly badly.

P = NP, printed gun, self driving cars, anonymous, hacking, oh, and apparently people with aspergers can't lie. The show seems significantly more intelligent and the case more difficult when they aren't randomly BS'ing about a new technology they don't understand in the slightest.

Associate
I quite enjoy the 'modern' cases that are thrown in every now and then. Though the best episode of this series has to be the lying girl.. brilliant ep start to finish! I prefer Elementary's sherlock to BBC's sherlock, too.. I think he does a fantastic job.

Caporegime
Yeah, Sherlock for me is pure gimmick, every time I see loads of words flying around the screen I want to punch whoever is directing that show.

The lying girl was a very very good episode, though that is kind of my point, that was just a good idea with really good writing and really good acting. The modern cases get so much unadulterated fluff thrown in which happens when writers start writing about **** they don't remotely understand. Stick to what you know and you get eps like the lying girl. The writing is sooo much stronger when they aren't getting into the areas they have no understanding of.

Soldato
I love Elementary but have to agree, the episodes featuring modern high tech are invariably the weakest. This week's episode, Murder Ex-Machina, was a perfect example, whoever wrote it obviously didn't have a clue so they just threw red herrings about like confetti in order to make it more interesting (and failed) - a pretty dire episode to be honest.

Personally I wish they would bring back Kitty, I loved the chemistry between her, Sherlock and Watson.

Soldato
Just to say I've watched the first 3 seasons of this recently - it's fantastic imo!
It's different from the UK Sherlock by enough that I don't even think about them at the same time.
One thing that irks me about all Sherlock TV series is that he's portrayed as a complete drug addict....in the books he's a recreational user at best!

Soldato
It's officially ending after the upcoming season 7 - seems they all had a discussion (showrunner, writers and actors) and decided that the story had run it's course.
At least this should mean we get a decent ending although a lot of people thought it should have finished at the end of season 6, as them starting over in London was the perfect ending anyway.

Associate
It's officially ending after the upcoming season 7 - seems they all had a discussion (showrunner, writers and actors) and decided that the story had run it's course.
At least this should mean we get a decent ending although a lot of people thought it should have finished at the end of season 6, as them starting over in London was the perfect ending anyway.

That's a shame, sometimes the series have been very hit and miss, but it's consistently been excellent viewing. Better to bow out now than continue beating a dead horse though.

Back
Top Bottom