‘Elephants Dream’

Associate
DaveyD said:
The bigger file is at 1080 HD resolution, so it's far better quality than the smaller file, but unless you've got a monitor that has a resolution of 1920x1080 then you can't get the most out of it.

Ok so if i download any HD trailers or files like this one, i should set my monitor to display a reso of 1920*1080 and then watch it as this is how it will look best? Even though my monitor is not widescreen?

Cant run windows at that res tho can you, looks horid!? :p

Man of Honour
Yucca said:
Ok so if i download any HD trailers or files like this one, i should set my monitor to display a reso of 1920*1080 and then watch it as this is how it will look best? Even though my monitor is not widescreen?

Cant run windows at that res tho can you, looks horid!? :p

You would need a widescreen monitor that supported that resolution, else on a 4:3 / 5:4 screen, it would look stupid, as it would be stretched to hell.

In a lower resolution viewing a 1080i/p HD content, you'll be losing some quality as your monitor can not display all the pixels it wants.

Associate
Ok, thanks for the info.

Last question, honist...!

So if i am playing HD footage on my crt, which is not widescreen, whats the best resolution that you can suggest? 1600*1200?

And at the resolution you suggest, would the picture quallity be better viewing hd footage rather than for example the smaller file that was avalable? Or am i just wasting my time and wont notice any difference between hd and normal footage untill i get a widescreen monitor that supports the needed resolution?

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Probably not the right area to say this, but if you're a Blender3d user (like me :D), then you can also download the source files that made this movie to learn from.

Also, little fact, Elephants Dreams is the FIRST HD DVD title in Europe!

Man of Honour
Yucca said:
Ok, thanks for the info.

Last question, honist...!

So if i am playing HD footage on my crt, which is not widescreen, whats the best resolution that you can suggest? 1600*1200?

And at the resolution you suggest, would the picture quallity be better viewing hd footage rather than for example the smaller file that was avalable? Or am i just wasting my time and wont notice any difference between hd and normal footage untill i get a widescreen monitor that supports the needed resolution?
It's the horizontal resolution you need to get a 1080 display looking right, so 1920x1080, or if it were a standard 4:3 CRT, you'd have to use a resolution of 1920x1440 to get the full width.

A lot of HD content is in 720, which is a lot easier to use as it will fit on full detail on a 1280x1024 resolution screen. Unless you're watching proper HD DVDs or all you do is watch HD trailers, just use whatever resolution you're happy with for day to day use, and most widescreen TFTs only go up to 720p sized resolutions anyway, unless you spend a lot of cash.

Man of Honour
The quality of animation looks quality though one of the voices was a bit out of sync. I didn't quite get the story though but I still love stuff like this. Does anybody know of any others? :)

Associate
~J~ said:
Probably not the right area to say this, but if you're a Blender3d user (like me :D), then you can also download the source files that made this movie to learn from.

Also, little fact, Elephants Dreams is the FIRST HD DVD title in Europe!

Hey hey!

I'm a blender user too!

:D

--
Brian

Associate
For some reason when i try and play the file in windows media player its telling me that it hasnt got the right codex?!

It normally plays everything i throw at it. Any ideas?

Man of Honour
Yucca said:
For some reason when i try and play the file in windows media player its telling me that it hasnt got the right codex?!

It normally plays everything i throw at it. Any ideas?

Use one of the players it suggests, VLC or Media Player Classic, links on the page.

Soldato
The only thing I could make out from the story was that it was an old hand and the new guy sort of situation.

The younger Emo is unable to understand why things work the way they do and wants to make changes or just leave but Proog the old guy is being obstructive and unable to pass on his experience while maintaining his interest.

Associate
I have got to say i thought that was pretty poor. As has been said there is no story line to speak of and the voice overs are poor. The animation is very off in places, esspecially walking motion. The characters dont look any better than out of HL2.

The feeling i get off this vid is how games will look like this in a couple of years not CGI movies. And bigging up the open source community? I dont know.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Locrian said:
I have got to say i thought that was pretty poor. As has been said there is no story line to speak of and the voice overs are poor. The animation is very off in places, esspecially walking motion. The characters dont look any better than out of HL2.

The feeling i get off this vid is how games will look like this in a couple of years not CGI movies. And bigging up the open source community? I dont know.

You've missed the point.

The entire movie, post effects, sounds, voices, storyline, etc, was all created with software that is free.

The idea behind the project was to create a movie that could meet the standards as set out by other animation houses that use software that runs into tens of thousands of pounds.

A lot of the additional extras in the movie were created, free of charge, by none professional and none-paid graphics designers around the world.

Whilst the story isn't exactly a work of art, the overall input from the community has been an incredible success.

Back
Top Bottom