Elite:Dangerous

Associate
This is a noob question, but I can't figure out how to play Elite Dangerous on my Vive.

How do I launch ED in VR?

I'm one of the original backers so have an icon on my desktop, but I can't even figure out how to lauch ED from Steam VR :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers. I was able to run it in VR from the desktop ED starter short cut as long as I had SteamVR running before I booted the game up.

I now just need to sort out my settings to make it run nicely on my basic 290. I'll try EDProfiler and see where I go from there.

Also need to figure out how t navigate the Galaxy map in VR :eek:

And continue waiting for Vega... :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Plus having just spent an hour in ED on my Vive having voice attack installed and working is a god send. Saying commands and they work is awesome. Someone here (or it might have been a steam thread) even posted the small macro to automate requesting docking. Way more fun :)
When taking off I just say 'landing gear' and the landing gears retract (or deploy - depending on the current state).

I make a lot of use of Voice Attack in ED - it really adds to the immersion.

I'd be interested in that docking macro if you can find it!

Associate
OP
I didn't really get on with the voice packs. Mainly because the voice phrase was never quite right and meant I either had to change everyone or learn them.
Doing my own meant I know what each one does and I say it naturally :)

Mini macro thing for request docking:
Press 1 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press E key and hold for 0.2 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press E key and hold for 0.2 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Space key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press S key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Space key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Q key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press Q key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Pause 0.1 seconds
Press 1 key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Press Down key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Press Left key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Press Up key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release
Press Up key and hold for 0.1 seconds and release

Thanks for the macro, I'll give it a try.

I've not been tempted to use Voice Packs, as I use one that was based on a selection of commands done for ED in Beta. It was by a chap who did videos on a headlook device and he may post on these forums as well? It was a good set of commands and I've adapted it a lot since, so I wouldn't be comfortable moving to a whole new way of phrasing stuff.

I'm always on the look out for useful Voice Attack macros to add though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
So far I've stuck with straight forward things but I have added a little bit of feedback for the lights and landing gear commands as I can't see the lights and the landing gear sometimes has a bit of a delay. So having a voice tell me the command was received and will be carried out helps.

Good tips. I've noticed that with the landing gear command. Not sure re. lights, it would be good if you could check whether they were on or off...

Associate
OP
To be honest I didn't do what 'danoliver1' suggested above re starting ED. After some fiddling around, I booted my original install of ED through EDProfiler and the Vive was picked up OK.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Camera - How does it work in VR?

I've gone into the options menu and have seen the 'Camera Suite' and 'Free Camera' which just confuses me.

What I basically want is:
  • A command to jump into an external camera
  • which I can then fly around my ship using my HOTAS or mouse
  • A key/command to take a photo (are there different resolutions depending on what game mode you are in?)
How does the camera work in E:D?

Associate
OP
I Have just installed a 1080ti (moving from an R9 290) and wondered what the best settings are for ED?

I was just going to run it using the VR Ultra settings of the ED Profiler and then tweak them, but I wondered if there's any tips?

As a bit of background, in the VR Ultra settings, SS = 1.25, HMD Image Quality = 1.50. Also, my CPU isn't that powerful, but is hopefully OK.

Associate
OP
Folks I'm so confused about the graphics settings on this.. what should I use to change the SS levels? The Steam VR settings? The Oculus Tool? The ingame graphics settings?

Is it me or does the text in some areas look a bit fuzzy with an Oculus Rift (and only looking at the text directly seems to make it clearer?)

And last but not least, I do not know why but everytime I start Elite in VR, the menu system is hanging above me and I have to look upwards to review the menu settings... any idea why this is and how to reset?

Thanks folks!

If you have not already got it, a program called 'EDProfiler' has been essential for me to make VR useable in Elite Dangerous. I really recommend that you Download and install it.

There is a 'GUI Colour' profile in there called "Dr. Kai's Spiritual Teal (avatar friendly)" - it may be the default option when you've installed EDProfiler. It makes the text far more readable.

And generally use EDProfiler for experimenting with graphic settings.

Associate
OP
It's the oculus rift mic btw.

I keep thinking about getting the posh headstrap (with built in earphones) for the Vive, but I don't want to rely on the mic. This isn't based on actual experience, just the fact that it's so far from my mouth.

Is that the same issue with the Rift?

Associate
OP
Noticed it’s £9.99 on steam, I only have a 290 but I’m interested in it, how would my aging space heater handle this in VR? Also is the game playable with an xbox360 controller? I game from my sofa so I don’t a have a desk for a Hotas setup

I used to have a 290 and my Vive worked fine on it with the settings cranked down. +1 for Voice Attack too, it is practically essential and really adds to the immersion.

Associate
OP
Done it!

Really didn't take much convincing. Loved it all the way back when it appeared on the BBC micro, bought it for the ZX Spectrum which came with a strange lense device that you had to look through while looking at a code sheet, early DRM.

Well, looking through a lense darkly is a good introduction to the complex command system that you have got to look forward to.

But, E D is awesome in VR. Get Voice Attack. Be prepared for a steep learning curve, and look forward to the point where you realise that ED is an alternative universe...

Associate
OP
I'm having a hard time navigating the galaxy maps, they don't seem to work well in VR. Any one got any tips for using them and tips in general?

I use the mouse to navigate the galaxy map, though as you can't see the mouse with the headset on you need to do it by touch. I have the mouse next to my joystick so it's easy enough to find.

The big problem has always been selecting the system. I use the mouse the hover over or near the system, then tap the joystick which makes the targeting ring select the system.

Not elegant, but it seems to work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom