Elonex eTouch Android tablet

Associate
I am guessing this is right section.

Some of you may have noticed toys'r'us (yes well known for high grade electrical goodies) are selling. a 7" and a 10" version for a lot cheaper than the other tablets flooding the market currently. Has anyone taken the plunge and bought one yet? £90 for 7" sounds a bargain... but is it?

Soldato
Resistive is not ideal....but, for me, the 7" running 1.6 rather than 2.x is more of an issue....
Why not take a look at the X5A (HSG make it) tablet out in the wild.....seems to be a great meeting of reasonable price and functionality ?
That said, I have had some cheap n' cheerful Elonex things over the year and they tend to be fair for price etc.

Associate
Resistive is not ideal....but, for me, the 7" running 1.6 rather than 2.x is more of an issue....
Why not take a look at the X5A (HSG make it) tablet out in the wild.....seems to be a great meeting of reasonable price and functionality ?
That said, I have had some cheap n' cheerful Elonex things over the year and they tend to be fair for price etc.

ocuk just stocked a new tablet at 10", dual boot with windows 7 and google android :)

Here: [ http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18202426 ]

Associate
I have been looking at these as I am a real fan of the x10 mini os and I really like the iphone 4 style of them (even the ipad looks like a 3gs).

The reviews I have read so far seem pretty positive, but as they are so much cheaper than the galaxy and other competitors it seems to good to be true.

Associate
depends what you want the 700ET to do, if its to browse the internet and get emails then its slow but works.
If its as an Android tablet then you may be in for a bit of a letdown.
It is not compatible with the Android Marketplace, and can only get apps through its inbuilt "slideme" market app - which is very limited.

After speaking to Elonex support when I attempted to download Skype Android.
"It won't work"
"Ok - will it work with anything from the Android Marketplace?"
"No, it is only running Android 1.6"

Which doesn't really excuse the fact that it won't work with anything, considering it is listed on its own box as being an Android tablet, with thousands of available apps.

I don't know all the ins and outs of Android and compatibility, but I just feel its an Android phone trapped in a tablet body, not because of the operating system , as much as it is not a mobile phone, isn't 3G compatible and therefore cannot download like an android phone normally.

After speaking to the shop I got it from, and explaining that the packaging in using the Android label to help sell it, they mislead my girlfriend who believed she was buying a decent Android compatible tablet. much the same way as when I bought my daughter an MSIwind netbook with windows7 starter edition, I would be getting a windows 7 compatible computer. Although limited on resources and hardware, it will run windows software.
Thankfully they agreed and have offered my a full refund (not fit for purpose)

Soldato
I've got a 700ET (7", I believe the older model)
Under the hood, these are actually a Gome Flytouch 128mb clone. Custom roms with the proper market & more infos are available from here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/gome-flytouch/
http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?&board=60.0
You'll want a 128mb firmware for build version 1.9_88 / 1.9.xx :) (The build version is displayed at the bottom of the first screen)

Not bad little machines for what they are, but slow. For some reason, Portrait mode is even slower still, almost to the point of unusability.
The keyconfig is also a little funky as it lacks the expected hardware keys, but you quickly get used to that.
Mine basically gets used as a streaming radio/ calender/ photo display which it works very nicely for.

Notes:
That the screen calibration normally seems to be inverted with a custom ROM. Two ways to fix this:
1. Navigate to the calibration manually with the inverted screen.
2. In the ROMs 'Script' folder, you will find an 'etc' folder. Download the official Elonex firmware from their website & replace the 'etc' folder in the ROM with the one from Elonex.

The default wifi times out after ~20 mins on sleep, no matter what its doing. I suspect there's a bug somewhere in the works, but with something this generic and chinese, support will not be forthcoming. If this bothers you, use SpareParts or similar to disable wifi sleep.

-Leezer-

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom