Emergency Laparoscopic Appendectomy Experience.

Associate
A couple of Mondays ago, we went to bed as usual. I started experiencing stomach cramps, similar to what you might feel after eating a dodgy curry. Throughout the night, I was sick and had frequent bowel movements, but nothing major—it felt as though my body was trying to reject something I had eaten. I had experienced something like this in the past, so I didn’t think much of it. However, I couldn’t get comfortable and ended up staying awake for most of the night, just generally uncomfortable.

The next day, I called the GP, who gave me a same-day appointment because the pain was still there. After examining me, the GP mentioned that my intestines were slightly inflamed and suspected it was a stomach bug, likely to clear up within 24-48 hours with some rest.

However, on Wednesday, around 10am the pain suddenly intensified. It became excruciating, radiating from the middle of my abdomen to the lower right side. At that moment, I knew something was seriously wrong, but the pain was so severe that I couldn’t move. It felt like my intestines were in turmoil. I begged my partner to call an ambulance. Unfortunately, 999 refused to send one and advised consulting with 111. After an hour of triage with 111, they flagged my symptoms as urgent and stated that I absolutely needed an ambulance, though the wait would be 2-3 hours. They suggested we drive to the hospital if possible but advised to call 999 if I passed out on the way (thanks). Somehow, despite the unbearable pain, I managed to get into the car, though every bump made the pain worse.

At the hospital, I had to wait 1.5 hours in A&E triage. The pain was so intense at times that I nearly passed out, drenched in sweat. Finally, I was seen by a doctor who ordered IV fluids, antibiotics, a blood test, and an ECG. She also gave me morphine, which provided some relief. About an hour later, she came rushing back, informing me that they suspected my appendix had burst and that there was no time to wait for the CT scan results—I needed an emergency Laparoscopic Appendectomy immediately. By that point, I had already suspected the worst.

I was prepped for surgery and taken to the operating room. The procedure took 2.5 hours instead of the initially estimated hour. Afterward, the surgeon informed me that my appendix was gangrenous and had perforated, leaking pus throughout my abdomen. They had to inflate my bowel to clean everything out. Thankfully, the surgery was a success, and I spent two nights on the ward before being discharged with antibiotics last Friday.

Today, the nurse checked my wounds, which are healing nicely. It’s been quite an ordeal—the pain, the drama, being wheeled past others on trolleys in the corridor, and seeing the urgency on the doctors’ faces. It was a terrifying experience. I’m just thankful that I got the op when I did.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got away relatively unscathed from quite a serious condition. Perforated appendix leading to peritonitis and sepsis can make you very unwell very quickly.

Did the GP examine your abdomen?

That sort of tenderness cannot really be missed if you had appendicitis at that point...
Indeed. She did, and said it felt “inflamed”. I think at that point; on the Tuesday morning when I saw her, did hadn’t burst at that point as it wasn’t really radiating to and from my appendix until the next morning when I felt a full on change.

I had a similar experience in January 2022! Weird pain that I'd never felt the likes of in my abdomen so I called 111, they thought it was a urine infection.. next morning I rang the doctors and they couldn't believe that was diagnosed, my symptoms didn't point that way at all. Told me to get to the hospital ASAP, within 3 hours I was undergoing surgery.

The absolute worst part is the pain in your shoulder for the next week or so, bloody agony and worse than the abdominal pains :D

I'm glad you received prompt treatment after contacting the doctors. Did your appendix burst?

The hospital informed me of their suspicions around 6pm and I went in for surgery around 10pm. However, the intense pain had started much earlier, around 10am, after I tried eating a banana.

Have you made a full recovery? That shoulder pain is no joke, and even now, I still feel some discomfort from gas in the middle of my abdomen.

Didn't actually burst but they said if I'd have left it any longer then it could have. I actually had the pain for around 2 days before getting into hospital but they were very quick in sorting me out. Thankfully my partner was just getting over COVID so I had a room all to myself away from the junkies that were in because they'd tripped over a unicorn they thought they saw and grazed their knee.

It was so odd, like I needed to let out a ripping fart but it wouldn't shift so I knew something was up. All fine now thankfully, you can barely see the scars from the surgery as well. Yeah that shoulder pain is just hideous! I spent about a week in bed and getting up for the first few days for a slash or whatever was so difficult but the shoulder pain was unbearable at times. Just came and went without warning, not like a build up to it, just bam.
I’m glad yours didn’t burst—definitely a close call. I’ve read that it’s an emergency even when on the verge of bursting. After seeing the doctor, I suspected it could be appendicitis, so I even had the NHS appendicitis page open.

My antibiotics finish this evening, and I’m off work for the next couple of weeks. I plan to take it easy.

Sounds absolutely awful. That could easily have been fatal if it had gone on any longer. The ambulance situation is diabolical. Refusing an ambulance when someone is suffering agonising pains consistent with appendicitis. So glad it worked out well in the end.

You’re in my area actually. I’ve been to Darent valley before. Not the greatest hospital, but certainly better than that cesspit the QE in Woolwich
Thank you.

In the end it worked out as wasting 2-3 hours waiting for an ambulance, only to face further delays and potentially end up waiting 5-6 hours, especially since they didn’t seem to see me as a priority, could have been fatal for me. Getting in the car also allowed us to avoid QE as the ambulance would have taken me there, where the care is notoriously poor. While DVH isn’t the best either, it was the better option, so we went there.

You can see how it's costing lives.
Ironically, waiting for the ambulance—had they agreed to send one in the first place—could have cost me my life! We tried calling twice and were told the situation didn’t warrant an ambulance, even though they could hear me in agony and knew the pain was radiating from my stomach to the appendix area.

It was 111 that did a triage and flagged ‘red flags,’ confirming I did need an ambulance, but they warned it would be a 2-3 hour wait.

had mine out in same way about 15 years ago. suspected stomach bug first also so was sent home, went back to A&E 36 hours later in even more pain, then confirmed appendicitis, had it out that evening.

was in hospital for 3 days, didnt sneeze once, about an hour after i got home i sneezed and the hole under my belly button had me on the floor in pain for a minute lol.
The timelines are almost identical to mine. I presume you’ve made a full recovery? Are there any long-term issues?

I had a slight cough and a dry throat, which was quite painful when I coughed. You don’t realise how much your stomach muscles are involved in coughing, even slightly.

Glad you're on the mend mate, my uncle recently had to have a kidney removed due to issues being discovered after appendicitis. The appendix removal was smooth as butter but the post surgery kidney removal was an absolute farce, was actually tempted to make a thread about it myself.

The NHS is a mess, if you (or anyone) are in a position to get private healthcare I'd highly recommend doing so.
Thank you. Wishing your uncle a speedy recovery.

The problem with private health insurance is it doesn’t offer emergency treatment, there are no private emergency ambulance or private A&E’s.

Same happened to me. First day like you said I new something wasn't right with the pain (hard to describe the pain, like a dull pain) went to A and E where I saw a doc but said probably upset stomach but maybe could be appendix. Sent me home with drugs.
Next day got worse so went back it's then they said your staying in and need to go to surgery asap.
Mine had burst also and took them a while to sort out.
The week after for me I had real bad series pain episodes and couldn't walk great. Then all of a sudden the pain just stopped. Went from excruciating to nothing it was weird.

The pain was bad but I still say my kidney stone pain was worse.
That sounds very similar. Initially, the pain was dull and not as excruciating as it was the next day, but it was still very uncomfortable. I’m still experiencing occasional dull aches during digestion, but they only last for a few seconds.

I’m sorry to hear about your kidney stone. If that was more painful than this, then wow—I didn’t think pain could get any worse. Have you had any issues related to your Appendectomy?

Bloody hell, gangrenous!! Glad you made it through. The worst thing about a laparoscopic surgery, in my opinion, is the gas afterwards. It's a nightmare to get it out, particularly when you need to use your poor beaten up abdominal muscles to squeeze the farts out!
Thank you. The gas was horrendously painful. I was trying not to force it out because it was excruciatingly tender, especially in and around the area that had just been operated on.

Glad you're OK - yeah, the ambulance situation is a joke :( The whole system seems set up to fob you off - I guess the theory is, by the time someone sees you, you're either better or dead :(

My other half deals with ambulance calls a lot at work, and based on her stories, in an emergency situation I wouldn't even bother calling - straight in the car to A&E. We also have private cover, which - as mentioned above - obviously won't deal with emergency treatment, but initial assessment/diagnosis should be a lot quicker.
Thank you, I completely agree—it was a shambles. It was a time-sensitive situation, and waiting for the ambulance could have actually cost me my life. They said it would take 2-3 hours, but that could have easily turned into another 2-3 hours on top of that. I didn’t have time to waste, so even though the journey was rough, we knew we just had to get to the hospital. Fortunately, we were able to make it in time.

Once again it just highlights that we don't pay enough tax. All those countries with a great public health system pay more tax.

We pat enough to resent it, but not enough to see the value for money!

Glad you're on the mend OP.

Had mine out 20 years ago at Reading. Told to go to XYZ ward. My wife had to park the car so I was left with a fever to find the ward. Problem was the ward had moved earlier that week. Half the directions I was given were to where it had been and half to where it was. After 30 minutes getting lost I was feeling terrible so ended up being taken on a wheelchair. My wife was having kittens as they thought they'd lost me.

Then post-op a nurse cam to check the wound (no laprascopic for me). I noticed she had just emptied a catheter bag and not washed her hands. I asked her really nicely to clean her hands and she then refused to check me!

Worst bit was my mate bought me a jar of pickled gherkins to remind me of my appendix and a copy of Viz. Wanted to read it cos I was bored, couldn't cos laughing hurt!
Agreed, I would gladly pay a ring-fenced additional NI specifically for the NHS if it would help to raise standards across the board and meant that people received better care from the outset.

Back
Top Bottom