Employer changing working week

Soldato
OP
Right some clarification.

Those of the staff who's day off is Sunday is losing the Sunday of the change.

Those that have mid days off aren't losing a day off. They're getting the paid day off AND a normal day off.

Those that have Sunday off are only getting the paid day off so working one more day that the rest because that Sunday is now start not end of the week yet getting no compensation for that loss.

Personally it affects me as my days off are not just days off, they are my recovery days. I have M.E. however I continue to work as I refuse to give in to it. That lost recovery day will impact my health, a point I have tried to argue and met deaf ears.

The paid day off is "compensation for the loss of a WORKING day" not a lost day off.

It also affects upcoming holidays, which were booked against the old working week so we are being expected to move our holidays one day back so we can return to work on the Sunday.
Some staff booked flights etc to return to the UK on Sunday.

This will affect holidays booked right up until end of March when the new holiday year starts in April.

Soldato
Right some clarification.

Those of the staff who's day off is Sunday is losing the Sunday of the change.

Those that have mid days off aren't losing a day off. They're getting the paid day off AND a normal day off.

Those that have Sunday off are only getting the paid day off so working one more day that the rest because that Sunday is now start not end of the week yet getting no compensation for that loss.

Personally it affects me as my days off are not just days off, they are my recovery days. I have M.E. however I continue to work as I refuse to give in to it. That lost recovery day will impact my health, a point I have tried to argue and met deaf ears.

The paid day off is "compensation for the loss of a WORKING day" not a lost day off.

It also affects upcoming holidays, which were booked against the old working week so we are being expected to move our holidays one day back so we can return to work on the Sunday.
Some staff booked flights etc to return to the UK on Sunday.

This will affect holidays booked right up until end of March when the new holiday year starts in April.

So you normally don't work Sundays but are having to work this Sunday due to the change (or last Sunday, whichever it is)?

Soldato
OP
So you normally don't work Sundays but are having to work this Sunday due to the change (or last Sunday, whichever it is)?

I'm not working Sunday however as part of the change it's being counted as my day off on the following new week

Old week is week 17 and now runs Mon-Sat
New week is week 18 and now runs Sun-Sat.

Prior to the change in week 17 I have Friday and Sunday.

The change moves Sunday to the following week (18) and in Week 18 I have Sunday and Tuesday off.

Soldato
I'm not working Sunday however as part of the change it's being counted as my day off on the following new week

Old week is week 17 and now runs Mon-Sat
New week is week 18 and now runs Sun-Sat.

Prior to the change in week 17 I have Friday and Sunday.

The change moves Sunday to the following week (18) and in Week 18 I have Sunday and Tuesday off.

Do you always have Sunday off? If you do then you may not have actually lost out on anything (as you have 1 day off + Sunday). Week 17 you had 1 day off (but no Sunday as it doesn't exist in that week), next week you have 1 day off + Sunday. Eventually it will come out in the wash.

In fairness I can't really visualise it very well, I'd need to do a before and after calc to see if you'd actually lost out or whether it is giving the illusion of missing out.

Caporegime
Still confused what actual days off the op has. Is he basically saying he is no longer having Sunday off and is annoyed by it but his contract is 5 from 7 which means exactly that?

If he means the working week has changed and he ends up working 6 in 7 then all they need to do is either give a day's holiday in lieu or pay.

Soldato
Still confused what actual days off the op has. Is he basically saying he is no longer having Sunday off and is annoyed by it but his contract is 5 from 7 which means exactly that?

I'm at the conclusion that the OP hasn't practically lost any days off at all, it's just the labelling of it causing confusion as currently it's:

Week 17 - 1 day off,
Week 18 - 2 days off, etc.

Soldato
OP
I'm at the conclusion that the OP hasn't practically lost any days off at all, it's just the labelling of it causing confusion as currently it's:

Week 17 - 1 day off,
Week 18 - 2 days off, etc.

Yes. Normally I get one in the week and Sunday except for 1 Sunday in 6, which I worked yesterday

Prior to the change it was as follows

Fri off, Sun off w17
Tue off Sunday off w18

Now

W17 only Friday off
W18 sun then tue
W19 sun then whatever day in the week

Caporegime
Then you either need a day in lieu pay or an extra days holiday.

He's getting an extra day's pay, it's in the OP. I'm still not sure how he's losing a day off though.

Yes. Normally I get one in the week and Sunday except for 1 Sunday in 6, which I worked yesterday

Prior to the change it was as follows

Fri off, Sun off w17
Tue off Sunday off w18

Now

W17 only Friday off
W18 sun then tue
W19 sun then whatever day in the week

I still don't get how you've lost a day off.

You're still off on Sunday and a day in the week only now the order has been changed from a day in the week then Sunday to Sunday then a day in the week.

Soldato
He hasn't lost a day. He has technically worked a 6 day week before it has changed and the company has paid the missing day.

He flat out hasn’t lost a day off.

W17 Sunday off is now being taken in W18.
W18 Sunday off is now being taken in W19.
W19 Sunday off is now being taken in W20.
Etc.

As long as the OP always has Sundays off he has lost absolutely 0 days off. He will still have 52 Sundays off. He also has had 1 day off in each week. That’s 104 rest days as expected and ignoring that a year is 52 weeks + 1 or 2 days.

Soldato
OP
To update:

I spoke with someone ABOVE the middle manager who was in charge of this and put my case forward.

In that conversation the plan sent to the MM was for anyone who has Sundays off to get either Tues/Wed off in W17 plus the paid day off. He spoke with the MM and it was claimed "a miscommuncation" was the issue and now, everyone, including myself now has the corrected schedule.

The paid day off was to replace a 'working day lost by having a 6 day week'.

Consigliere
I have tried to understand this thread and it is making my head hurt.

@Resident With your update, what is the corrected schedule? So back to how it was at the start? And the annoyance was down to the working week shifted = having a different day off?

Soldato
OP
I have tried to understand this thread and it is making my head hurt.

@Resident With your update, what is the corrected schedule? So back to how it was at the start? And the annoyance was down to the working week shifted = having a different day off?

In a nutshell the working week is changing. The manager put in charge was told to remove a working day not a rest day & pay everyone a full day for the loss of that day.

That manager chose to remove Sunday from the shortened week but did not adjust for those that were not working that Sunday by moving that rest day earlier in the week. Upper management wanted everyone in that week to work 4, off 2, paid 5.

Rather than admit his screw up he tried to tell everyone who had lost the Sunday that's the way it was.

Soldato
I think ultimately, you have a job.

At any other point in time I'm sure people would be egging you on to leave if you don't like it.

At the moment, the world is a rough place for employment. I know many people who are under consultation for, or already have been made redundant. I know people who've had to swallow significant pay cuts to try and stay employed. This isn't exhaustive. Its bad.

I would probably take a deep breath, work out how much you'll care about this in 3 weeks, and recognise that now is to time to keep your head down and do the very best you can in your role. If your company starts feeling the pinch you want to be known as a safe pair of hands who just gets on with it.

Soldato
I completely misread the OP and thought the company had gone from a Monday - Friday to a Monday - Sunday so my first post probably added to some confusion. Sorry!

Associate
I do understand your problem. Because the company where I were worked had same problem, but once our main director came started to use Employee Performance Review. He started to follow everything what we do and the idea for us was to finish our aim at high level. That why now we don't have problems with schedule and communicate between us and our employer . We have nice timetable. The samples and even the template it is very easy to download on https://tracktime24.com/Blog/free-employee-performance-review-template. Here you will find and an detailed article, what does this document need include

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom