Employment issue, advise please.

Soldato
As everybody has said, get it out as quick as you can.

Also if you're still on your old contract, I imagine you'll be on a nice short notice period, so you get the pleasure of leaving them utterly ****ed.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Welcome to the private sector! This is how things are done here.

:)

Happens in the public sector as well. My cousin has just had to walk from a teaching job after 3 years as she hasn't had the promised pay scale increase since starting fresh on QTS and being "promoted" to key stage lead. Academies rock!

Associate
I'm in a similar position.
Promised the earth and nothing comes of it.
Looking for new jobs at the moment, something will come along eventually.

Sounds like you have done a good job where you are and that experience will get you into something better.
Sometimes if you start in a more Junior position you will always be viewed that way.

Get out as soon as possible, people who treat there staff badly never change.
You have to get another job.

Just stick at it and most importantly keep looking for something else.
It's even worth taking a days holiday to job search if you struggle to find the time.

Good luck.

Associate
OP
I'm in a similar position.
Promised the earth and nothing comes of it.
Looking for new jobs at the moment, something will come along eventually.

Sounds like you have done a good job where you are and that experience will get you into something better.
Sometimes if you start in a more Junior position you will always be viewed that way.

Get out as soon as possible, people who treat there staff badly never change.
You have to get another job.

Just stick at it and most importantly keep looking for something else.
It's even worth taking a days holiday to job search if you struggle to find the time.

Good luck.

cheers again everyone, I would drop them in it now if I could, but have nothing to fall back on which limits my options.

Sorry to hear you are in a similar position buddy.
To everyone that is, keep your chin up, thats what I am trying to do, knowing I am better than this.
More applications being sent out this afternoon!

Caporegime
I'd leave and find a new job - ref the unpaid bonus that was promised and you apparently have in writing speak to a solicitor and show them what exactly you have in writing... perhaps you could go to an employment tribunal re: those unpaid wages etc..

Associate
OP
*UPDATE*

Hey all!

Waves been moving this side, firstly work has not improved, I have been given a formal warning for few reasons, mainly for how low my morale has been lately due to all of this. They tried to be friendly about it and asked me what was wrong and what they can do to help, listed my suggestions and got shot down on all of them. The new CEO then stated also that another penny above my wage will not come to me for at least 12 months given if I met his criteria (confirming my fear of past achievements being ignored).

So you can imagine how my morale was feeling after that.

Good news though, I have secured two interviews over the next few weeks, so I am looking forward to that and it has got me excited, motivated and hungry again!

Soldato
*UPDATE*

Hey all!

Waves been moving this side, firstly work has not improved, I have been given a formal warning for few reasons, mainly for how low my morale has been lately due to all of this. They tried to be friendly about it and asked me what was wrong and what they can do to help, listed my suggestions and got shot down on all of them. The new CEO then stated also that another penny above my wage will not come to me for at least 12 months given if I met his criteria (confirming my fear of past achievements being ignored).

So you can imagine how my morale was feeling after that.

Good news though, I have secured two interviews over the next few weeks, so I am looking forward to that and it has got me excited, motivated and hungry again!

How can they give you a formal warning for low morale? As long as you're doing the job you're paid to do, working the hours you are supposed to work I don't see how there can be any basis for that. I doubt its in your contract that you have to be sunshine and rainbows.

The new guy sounds like a complete asshat. I'd be looking at doing everything I can to give him the shaft.

Associate
OP
How can they give you a formal warning for low morale? As long as you're doing the job you're paid to do, working the hours you are supposed to work I don't see how there can be any basis for that. I doubt its in your contract that you have to be sunshine and rainbows.

The new guy sounds like a complete asshat. I'd be looking at doing everything I can to give him the shaft.

The warning contained a few other issues which I do not believe to be serious enough to give a warning.
After a follow up meeting today in regards to how I operate within my job, they have set me a number of objectives to meet ion 3 months time, to which then I will be given another job role with more objectives to meet over a year, then I will get a pay rise...completely ignoring the past 3 and half years of work and accomplishments and met objectives.

Also inquired about my xmas bonus which has still yet to be seen (even though I have confirmation of it coming), which they now say we do not have the money to allocate an xmas bonus (questionable in truth), but will be resolved eventually. (no eta or when to expect it, even though it was meant to be delivered end of january.)

But on the upside, I had an interview last week which I thought was very successful, hoping to hear next week if ive gone through to the next stage (i believe I will given on my experience during the interview, they seemed far too interested to not invite me back)

Man of Honour
The warning contained a few other issues which I do not believe to be serious enough to give a warning.
After a follow up meeting today in regards to how I operate within my job, they have set me a number of objectives to meet ion 3 months time, to which then I will be given another job role with more objectives to meet over a year, then I will get a pay rise...completely ignoring the past 3 and half years of work and accomplishments and met objectives.

Also inquired about my xmas bonus which has still yet to be seen (even though I have confirmation of it coming), which they now say we do not have the money to allocate an xmas bonus (questionable in truth), but will be resolved eventually. (no eta or when to expect it, even though it was meant to be delivered end of january.)

But on the upside, I had an interview last week which I thought was very successful, hoping to hear next week if ive gone through to the next stage (i believe I will given on my experience during the interview, they seemed far too interested to not invite me back)

I know it's already been said, but you will not see a raise and you will not see an Xmas bonus; you already knew that though.

Congrats on your interview, I hope an offer comes out of it so you can go onto bigger and better things.

Associate
Walk walk walk.. (with another job lined up, of course).

I was in a similar position as my first graduate job (5-10 employees). Likewise, I was promised everything in the world by the 'CEO' at the time. I could smell something rotten and got out. I got a new job with a larger company 4 months later and never looked back. Now 3 years on and I'm earning 2 x what I did and working for one of the largest companies in the world :) I wouldn't change my job.

Sgarrista
Commissario
You're a pushover.

There, I said it. You've let them walk over you, and instead of being pro-active in getting the money you are owed, have continued to let them walk over you while you "wait for xyz to happen".

Grats, you have a new job lined up (or hopefully will). How do you think the "i want my money or im leaving" line is going to go?

They'll open the door and slam it behind you.

Work to rule. If you don't have the bottle to do it, then don't expect any of that money you are owed.

Associate
OP
You're a pushover.

There, I said it. You've let them walk over you, and instead of being pro-active in getting the money you are owed, have continued to let them walk over you while you "wait for xyz to happen".

Grats, you have a new job lined up (or hopefully will). How do you think the "i want my money or im leaving" line is going to go?

They'll open the door and slam it behind you.

Work to rule. If you don't have the bottle to do it, then don't expect any of that money you are owed.

thanks for all the words as always to all commenters!
I do feel as your comment regarding me being a pushover pretty harsh and uncalled for though.
I have let them know a number of times how unhappy all of this is and that their broken promises do nothing but drop morale further. At the same time I cant tell them to just stick it up their bum without anything lined up.
If they open the door and slam it behind me, who am I to care anyway with a new job with the wage bracket I deserve.

Your work to rule comment does not help what so ever if you had followed the thread also.
My current contract is donkeys years old and really does not apply to my role anymore, but they wont re-write a new contract at the same time.
So if you have any suggestions on how to go around this sensibly rather than attacking, that would be great, thanks.

Sgarrista
Commissario
No really, that wasn't an attack, but your reply only re-enforces the pushover comment further.

You have a contract for X work. They are not renewing or amending it to compensate you for your other roles because they know they are mugging you off, and you're letting them.

Do X work, get paid for X work.
Do Y work, get paid for Y work.
Do Z work, get paid for Z work.

Telling someone youre unhappy about it is a lot different from doing something about it.

Soldato
Sounds like you've been taken for a ride, but also there is clearly more to this - you suggested the new CEO isn't for you; I imagine you aren't for him either. From his position if he Doesn't rate you enough to give a warning you have zero chance of sorting any pay rise or bonus for the foreseeable.

You don't say where you are based. I work for a large cloud & hosting provider and we are always recruiting. Where are you and what do you want to do ?

Associate
OP
Sounds like you've been taken for a ride, but also there is clearly more to this - you suggested the new CEO isn't for you; I imagine you aren't for him either. From his position if he Doesn't rate you enough to give a warning you have zero chance of sorting any pay rise or bonus for the foreseeable.

You don't say where you are based. I work for a large cloud & hosting provider and we are always recruiting. Where are you and what do you want to do ?

You are right, there is some more to the story which I cannot share, yes the new CEO and I have not seen eye to eye, we could work together and get along, but unfortunately that boat has sailed off in to the distance due to his neglect and lack of initial care.

I am currently based in Essex (south essex) can drive and on a train line so London and Kent are possible among others!
I do a number of roles for the company currently that range from support to accounting to ISO coordinator.
Looking to further my career in Compliance and Information Security, although I am open to other roles.

Associate
OP
Thought I would throw an update in here.

My self and work are getting along a bit better now, but damage has been done.
Damage was done with the formal warning months ago, which I am still waiting for a resolution and confirmed that the formal warning period is over. Also during this period, I had a disagreement with said manager again, who then said since I am on probation I should be doing better, of course you can imagine the stink this kicked up as
1, I never agreed to be put back on to probation
2, im not having him threaten me as such

But more importantly, I have had interviews since and have actually refused some job offers due to it would not put me in on better place.
Had an interview in September for a company who I wanted to join so badly, went to the interview, smashed it but they gave me the bad news of they didnt think I was best for the role.
Go home, move forward with current work, being told that im now doing amazing (nothing in terms of my work ethic or schedule has changed), then get a call out of blue from said company (over 2 months after our interview date) offering me a similar role and letting me know they are not going to go through application process again, they want me for it.

Notice handed in very same day and I start a new job as of next month.
New boss of current company of course said some things that rubbed me up the wrong way, but it does not bother me anymore.
The rest of the company have been a pleasure and are people I am truly going to miss, not to mention a number of clients I will miss dealing with.

But basically, never give up people!
It will come through, got to show your heart and determination to get through to the other side though.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Great news. Take your ISO work with you then laugh as they scamble around when the external auditors turn up ;)

Associate
OP
Great news. Take your ISO work with you then laugh as they scamble around when the external auditors turn up ;)

Trust me I did think of this, but thought better of it, considering the people im leaving for is the people who audit the current company for their 27001.
Like I said there has been stresses and disagreements, but too do this wont impact the people who you would want it to, instead it would be throwing more work at my replacement and current colleagues (who I get on with incredibly well).

Back
Top Bottom