End of the Impreza and STI in the UK from 2013

Soldato
I'd hardly call the GT86 affordable performance motoring.

Especially considering its a high on £26k car, and not all that quick.

Soldato
It's a shame but too be honest the emissions/economy are shocking now compared to similar performing cars offered from BMW etc.

Soldato
I'm sure direct injection would have helped a lot. But they were still using quite old tech on the engines.

The main differences between 1990's cars and 2000's cars was the introduction of the AVCS, then on the hatch they added it to all four cams instead of just the two inlet cams. Differences apart from that? Not much...

Soldato

Subaru WRX STI 320R

Price: £32,995; 0-62mph: 4.9 seconds; Economy: 26.9mpg; Co2: 243g/km;

BMW M135i

Price: £29,995; 0-62mph: 5.1 seconds; Economy: 35mpg; Co2: 188g/km;

(or get it with the Auto...)

Price: £31,750; 0-62mph: 4.9 seconds; Economy: 37mpg; Co2: 175g/km

It has to be said those figures from BMW are pretty impressive and having read numerous reviews for the 135i, people are getting closer to 40mpg when driving normally. Would I rather have the Scooby, yes I would but in reality I'd have to get my head examined to pick it over the BMW as a daily driver.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think the M135i is hard to match by anyone... it's a performance bargain.

I'm test driving it next week :cool:

Whoever pushed BMW to bring up economy on fast cars frst should be made grandfuhrer or whatever they do in Germany.

EU.

On the other hand a lot of reviewers have said the M135i sounds absolutely awesome. One guy went as far as saying it's the best sounding BMW for the last 5-10 years.

Associate
Subaru WRX STI 320R

Price: £32,995; 0-62mph: 4.9 seconds; Economy: 26.9mpg; Co2: 243g/km;

BMW M135i

Price: £29,995; 0-62mph: 5.1 seconds; Economy: 35mpg; Co2: 188g/km;

(or get it with the Auto...)

Price: £31,750; 0-62mph: 4.9 seconds; Economy: 37mpg; Co2: 175g/km

It has to be said those figures from BMW are pretty impressive and having read numerous reviews for the 135i, people are getting closer to 40mpg when driving normally. Would I rather have the Scooby, yes I would but in reality I'd have to get my head examined to pick it over the BMW as a daily driver.

Dealer prices are lower than BMW now. Plus you get AWD.

So the Subaru WRX STI is now cheaper/same price, quicker in dry and wet, probably cheaper to maintain.

27mpg is hardly a killer for the performance! Its no worse than Focus RS, VXR etc

Checkout the RX8 thread if you want to see poor economy :D

Last edited:
Caporegime
Dealer prices are lower than BMW now. Plus you get AWD.

So the Subaru WRX STI is now cheaper, quicker in dry and wet, probably cheaper to maintain.

27mpg is hardly a killer for the performance! Its no worse than Focus RS, VXR etc

Checkout the RX8 thread if you want to see poor economy :D

There's more to it then just that, someone who wants a Scoob will get a Scoob. Someone who wants something sporty for 30k will way up other factors like residuals, servicing costs, consumable and of coures, clunge-magnet factor.

Associate
I'm sure direct injection would have helped a lot. But they were still using quite old tech on the engines.

The main differences between 1990's cars and 2000's cars was the introduction of the AVCS, then on the hatch they added it to all four cams instead of just the two inlet cams. Differences apart from that? Not much...

They should have stuck to the 2.0 rather than the 2.5. They use 2.0 in Japan, its a much better engine.

Soldato
It's a shame the way the automotive world is going but it seems affordable performance is a thing of the past. Cars are becoming too expensive to maintain and people haven't got the money for increased petrol costs, tax, tyres etc.

Go back to mid 90's early 00's and look at the big three Japanese automakers.

Toyota
Celica GT4
Supra
MR2 Turbo

Nissan
Skyline R33/R34 GTR
200SX
300ZX

Honda
NSX Type R
Accord Type R
Civic Type R
S2000

Fast forward to today and all you have on offer is either the 370Z or GT86 as affordable performance motoring. The GTR whilst still being great value for money is way out of reach compared to the previous models.

As for Subaru and Mitsubishi I think the demise of the WRC and them not competing in it has hurt their sales a lot. I haven't watched a WRC in nearly a decade but before that it was a different story.

Toyota still have the GT86, Nissan have the GTR and 370z and Honda are supposedly releasing a new NSX, Civic Type R and S2000 (albeit not anytime soon).

I think the competition from Germany is Japan's biggest problem. 99% of people in the UK are more concerned about the badge on the bonnet or how cool their LEDs look - unfortunately sales reps don't want to roll up in a Honda Jazz.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
And also remember some of those older cars weren't exactly cheap when new.

An st205 GT4 was around 31k new, and that was almost 20 years ago, Supras were 40k+, even the MR2 topped out at around 23k.

Associate
It's a shame the way the automotive world is going but it seems affordable performance is a thing of the past.

I beg to differ sir, have a look at the BMW 135i. Reasons are outlined above, it's quicker, safer and much more economical than anything in the 90's.

If you take inflation into consideration it is an absolute steal for the money.

Caporegime
I beg to differ sir, have a look at the BMW 135i. Reasons are outlined above, it's quicker, safer and much more economical than anything in the 90's.

If you take inflation into consideration it is an absolute steal for the money.

An ugly bread van doesn't do it for me. Economy is pretty much irrelevant if you can afford to buy a performance car. Not to mention they are not worth the paper they are written on (Modern MPG calculations are done different to those of old).

Soldato
Not surprised.

The garage my dad works at stopped being a Subaru dealer a good 18 months ago - they just didn't sell enough cars to warrant keeping the franchise - the space is now taken up with more Hyundai's and more Isuzu's. They still do servicing for Subaru though.

Soldato
There's more to it then just that, someone who wants a Scoob will get a Scoob. Someone who wants something sporty for 30k will way up other factors like residuals, servicing costs, consumable and of coures, clunge-magnet factor.

pretty much spot on.

Just a shame that they ruined the styling (imo) would take a '94-'00 scoob any day of the week over these new ones.

Back
Top Bottom