Engine bay switch live feed?

Associate
Anyone done this before I get the multimeter out?
Any inspiring ideas on a suitable engine bay switch live feed? No fuse box nearby, canbus wiring.
Windscreen washer motor maybe?
Ta.

Associate
OP
2004 BMW 645.
Water temperature gauge.
I know I could probably tap into the fuses in the glove box but really want to run the feed through the firewall to keep it tidier.
Thanks.

Associate
OP
Your BMW doesn’t have a temperature gauge? :confused:
Nope. In their wisdom they equipped it with an oil temperature gauge in a bid to give it a 'racy' feel. :rolleyes:
Stupidly, it can actually read the temperature but you can only display that in the dash by going through a stupid amount of faff each time.

Associate
OP
Why do you even want to know the water temperature out of interest
Got a long-ish trip coming up, the cars old and the cooling systems on dinosaur Beemers isn't the greatest. Just want a bit of pre warning if it decides to toast itself, maybe save a head gasket. Just peace of mind really.

Associate
OP
Or you could skip that faf and run a live "gauge" on your phone from the obd

Ok, that's actually something I will definitely look at. Didn't even think of that, great call.
Thanks guys, knew I could get some proper help in here.

Associate
OP
Autool X60 Car OBD Scanner Digital Meter Digital Turbo Boost Pressure Meter Overspeed Alarm Water Temperature Gauge Car Voltage Meter Time Display for 12V OBD Standard EU/US Vehicles https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BF568WW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_by-ZCbH70VVCR

Can get things like this if you have an obd port

Yeah, just been looking. Found this one too, yours looks a tad better quality though!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ACBungji-S...ocphy=1006803&hvtargid=pla-771978799607&psc=1

Associate
OP
You could run the Torque app from Obd2 via Bluetooth, the Obd2 adapter is about £5 and the Torque app is about £4.
Wow, that's pretty comprehensive! I use the phone for sat nav and speed camera alerts though, will give that a good look though. Like the way the guy seems to know his stuff and is always developing the app. Cheers.

Associate
OP
The dash will still display an over heat message/icon so you'll get warning.
Yeah, in an ideal world! My old E34 didn't and that boiled in a traffic jam in the middle of the Hatfield tunnel. Most embarrassing and lucky not to warp the head. I now live in absolute mortal fear if I smell coolant, even if its someone elses it makes me shudder. :eek:

Associate
OP
I would hope that since, at best, 1996, BMW have developed a coolant temperature warning light.

I'd hardly describe a 2004 6 series as "Dinosaur" either.

Yeah, trouble is some of the BMW sensors aren't exactly reliable at best, hence the desire to have something that I can actually keep an eye in if it gets toasty. The thermostat doesn't open until 105C so it's already running high, naturally.
Dinosaur may have been a tad harsh though, it's actually quite well equipped. And I absolutely love it to bits and don't think I would ever part with it. :)

Back
Top Bottom