Engine mount / gear box mount warrenty

Associate
driving in town today and I throught my backbox had gone to start with. In 2nd gear under acceleration I would hear something banging. We pulled over, and my partner got an AA man, we spotted the engine or a gearbox mount has failed. He was littlerally able to rock the engine back and forth a few inches.

Car is a fait panda 2011 model, which is thankfully still under warrenty. Its just done shy of 40K.

I have no idea how this has happened and wouldn't expect this of a 2 year old car.

Hopefully garage aren't going to try to say its something else or squirm out of paying for it under the warrenty

I am I covered?

Soldato
Unless there is evidence that you have hit the bottom of the car on something I can't see how they can......unfortunately that doesn't mean that they might not try. Should be OK imo, but be prepared not to be given the run around.

Associate
OP
Unless there is evidence that you have hit the bottom of the car on something I can't see how they can......unfortunately that doesn't mean that they might not try. Should be OK imo, but be prepared not to be given the run around.

Not recently. 1 year ago, I did hit have a small mishap - a small badger or animal went into the lower part of the bumper, but this was repaired properly through an approved garage and has been fine ever since. Hopefully the time that's lapsed between this would prove this hasn't cuased the problem, or and its a different area of the car.

Soldato
the only real thing they could try and get out of it is that its under "wear and tear".

but even if it was then i doubt it would cost a lot for the mount.
There's no way anyone should take an engine/gearbox mount on a little Fiat failing after <3 years and <40k miles as acceptable 'wear and tear'. Double that lifetime, at least, is what one could reasonably expect!

Soldato
There's no way anyone should take an engine/gearbox mount on a little Fiat failing after <3 years and <40k miles as acceptable 'wear and tear'. Double that lifetime, at least, is what one could reasonably expect!

Owners could have been dropping the clutch in first gear and doing burn outs!

Soldato
I wouldn't bother with warranty, when my Mondeo one went I got one online for well under £20 and it took about 10 minutes to swap over.

Associate
OP
Update. Garage ran me today and its much worse. The knuckle joint that is welded to the subframe is bent. They are basically saying the car has been hit my something underneath. As I previously said the car had an in accident when we went over a badger which is the only thing to springs to mind. Garage have quoted me £1000 to get this put right. At this point we are contatcting insurance company to see if it can by covered part of previous claim. The. Joint is on the same side as the damage before. Will have to see what they say.

Associate
Seriously, there is no way on earth a badger could have caused the joint of the engine mount to fail like that. If you had hit a person I doubt you could have done that sort of damage!

To do that sort of damage you would need to hit a large rock, kerb, wall or piece of metallic debris on the road. Maybe you went rallying in it and forgot? ;)

Associate
OP
Seriously, there is no way on earth a badger could have caused the joint of the engine mount to fail like that. If you had hit a person I doubt you could have done that sort of damage!

To do that sort of damage you would need to hit a large rock, kerb, wall or piece of metallic debris on the road. Maybe you went rallying in it and forgot? ;)

TTvp

Here is a picture of the damage. Its gone inwards and bent a huge chunk of the metal at the top. I have no idea how its happened! me and my partner never mount kerbs, sometimes sleeping policeman catch on bumpers.

Question is? If I had have hit something - It would have had to have with a hell of a bang to bend the metal in this fashion, surely I would have known about it.

The badger hit on the M1 late at night, and we were doing about 70 MPH, it literally got sucked in and felt like a very bad speed bump

Back
Top Bottom