enigma@home - Boinc stats team challenge

Soldato
ill be running some tasks for it, but im also going to keep an eye on a couple of other projects im running which I think may get snatched from under our feet while all efforts are diverted to enigma and sat.

Soldato
Baba said Linux without the app is just as fast as Windows using the app so I wouldn't worry if there isn't a Linux app.
Last of my universe units are completing now and I'll be running all enigma units shortly.

Last edited:
Associate
Cool, I'll not worry about my Linux box then.
Windows box is crunching using the Haswell app now. I ran the benchmark referenced in one of the threads on the Enigma forum to benchmark the stock app against the C2D app and against the Haswell app, it was around 21 seconds/17 seconds/14 seconds respectively so a decent improvement from the looks of things.

Soldato
I
I cant get this to go any higher than 85% cpu load, any reason?

What do you have your computing preference set to.

Captain. I know hanluc had problems getting work with Linux aswell, if no luck how about setting up a windows virtualmachine on your Linux system

Swapped the 12 core cpus for 16 cores of baba's that need testing, so a couple of extra cores

Last edited:
Associate
It's a possibility but something I'd rather not mess around with . I'm going to try a different flavour of Linux and see how that goes, it's probably about time I reinstalled this box anyway as I've probably broken something with my incessant tinkering and lack of Linux knowledge :p
I will be retiring this machine in the near future anyway in favour of another X99 build.

Man of Honour
Memorandum acknowledged. On time, for once! :)

Remembered why I haven't run Enigma on my Linux box before...it's never managed to pull any work for Enigma for some reason. Trawling the forums now to try and find out what's going on.

Mine failed to get any as well (stock app), but it's on anyway so I'll leave it trying. Windows VM isn't an option.

Soldato
hmmm. time to ask Ba how he got work on his Linux machine

if you guys cant get any work at all on Linux then how about joining in with the other challenge which is currently going on, the sat@home thread next to this one. ocuk is 2nd but currently catching Russia up!

Last edited:
Associate
Currently installing Ubuntu 15.whatever on my Linux box to see if it works any better, it was on Debian 8.something. I read a post along the lines of Ubuntu Server not getting any work but Ubuntu Desktop being able to, not entirely sure if that was accurate or if it was, whether there should be something in the BOINC Event log to indicate this, but meh, figured it was worth a shot. I did remember why I didn't install Ubuntu in the first place, though - by default it created a ridiculously sized swap partition and then failed to install because there was no disk space left (28GB swap partition on a 30GB SSD...good work Ubuntu!). Restarted the install and created partitions manually, seems to be going better so far.

Will update with results :)

Man of Honour
Anyone know of a 32-bit optimised app as I have a 32-bit OS on one machine (I found out that the optimised one was 64-bit after several crashes - oops!).

PS - Linux client seems to need a desktop operating system, not a server one, which is why mine doesn't work. Reinstall isn't an option, so that one's out. Shame.

Man of Honour
berserker , on the Linux pc see if you can get work for sat@home, that currently on going and has 3 days left :)
I only have command-line access so switching projects is tricky. I'll pass on that one.

This one worked and even rescued half the work I'd already downloaded. Thanks. :)

Edit: I can hear one cruncher from the other end of the house. It's a rackmount box I got with the intention to run as a server and then discovered just how loud it was under load, so abandoned that idea. I probably ought to sell it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom