Entry Level DSLR

Associate
Hi All

It has been a long time since I have been to the OC forum however its always been a great place for advice on things like this.

I am new to the world of photography and am on the lookout for an entry level DSLR with the potential to improve. I will be going to New Zealand in May for a couple of years an hope to capture my adventures!

I am looking at a budget between £300-£500 if possible. Open to both new an used options if you would recommend used cameras for a beginner. I would also like somewhat good video capability too however if that is not recommended then again please say.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Zak

Soldato
You wouldn't go far wrong with a Nikon D5600. For £410 brand new it's got pretty much all that you're looking for, especially the potential to improve. No idea about the video capabilities (except to say that it can record 1080), but there are hundreds of reviews around wich I'm sure cover that aspect of the camera.

Soldato
I got a refurbed 700d (actually a t5i but same thing) A few years back and it has lasted me well.

I see they are down to ~£250 now and sometimes lower. Would leave a bit of budget for some glass too. Or even there are some good used bundles with lens and battery grips ETC right in your price range.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help. I will be photographing mainly landscapes/skiing. I would like to have one or 2 lenses if possible but I am definitely in the unknown when it comes to this so that is where the recommendations would come in handy.

4k Video capability is not a must however it would be a bonus.

Associate
OK so landscape could be covered by a simple kit lense. It won't be the best quality (hey, it's a kit lense), and something a little more rangey if you fancy it. Can pick up some reasonable quality 75-300mm lenses from the likes of Tamron if that would float your boat.

Consider mirrorless also, you'd be surprised by the quality and weight saving. I run a Canon EOS M50 with a kit lense (15-45mm) alongside an older Canon EOS 450D with an 18-55mm EF-S lense and the aforementioned 75-300mm Tamron EF lense. The M50 is better in every way, and shoots 4K footage, but the 1080p is better as it utilises Canon's Dual Pixel AF for insane tracking and focus. Can be found in your budget if you shop around.

Caporegime
I'd be looking at mirrorless too if travelling. A second hand Panasonic G80 with the 12-60 would be a good compromise of weight/image quality and also is weather sealed.

Associate
https://www.techinthebasket.com/cat...hpRXp-Zb3YwnB9lp8PMUdeXI6aaMz-DhoCQNMQAvD_BwE

What would you say about this? Sounds like what you recommended. I like the idea of having something a little smaller too.
Canon EOS M50 is my current primary camera as mentioned above :) Fantastic camera. If using for video, shoot in 1080p, it's great quality with the Dual Pixel AF as mentioned. The focus when shooting in 4K tends to hunt a bit (I believe it's contrast based, so nowhere near as good as DPAF), but if in manual focus I guess that's no issue. I use it for shooting everything. Landscapes, street photography, portraits and video. Fantastic camera, especially for £450.

5jFP7Yp.jpg
5jFP7Yp

That was a quick 20 second exposure using the kit lense at f/4, 20mm @ ISO 800 in an urban area with huge amounts of light pollution. It handles low light really well. No editing (beyond exporting from DPP4 from raw to jpg) so if you fancy some night shooting it'd see you right.

I'll happily grab some more test shots for you once home from work if you fancy seeing what else the M50 can do :)

Back
Top Bottom