Environmental Management Qualifications

Associate
Hi all,

I currently work for a contractor in a non environmental role, however our contract with the client states we need to adhere to certain environmental regulations and that we have certain environmental systems in place. The company were informed of an audit to specifically audit our environmental policies, systems etc when the company realised that we hadn't done most of what our client expects apart from the absolute legal minimum.

After this was discovered the company were looking for someone to start to implement what our client expected as we haven't employed anyone whose specific job this is, which was when I volunteered to do it and the company were happy for this after a discussion and I was given some time of certain key people and a few hours off from my main job to accomplish this.

So the audit came and for the most part we did pretty well all things considered and the company were extremely happy with my performance, however, one thing that was picked up was that we're suppose to have a 'competent' person managing this side of the business and that I'm not deemed competent as I hold no professional qualifications in this area, I do have a B.Sc in Geography but didn't take any modules in environmental law or management.

Our Managing Director had a follow up meeting with the auditor and client and he asked if there was anyway that I could keep doing what I was doing whilst complying with the contract and the client has agreed they will accept someone as 'competent with a training plan' if they are currently studying towards professional status.

So now my work have offered me a £3.5k pay rise and the opportunity to gain professional qualifications in this area, to which obviously I'm thrilled at but I've now got to decide which route to take which is where I need some advice and help.

I'm just wondering if anyone has been in a similar position and which route did you take?

I'm currently looking into the IEMA Foundation Certificate in Environmental Management as a starting point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Back
Top Bottom