Epic will continue to sign exclusives, even for games already on Steam

Soldato
Meh, I buy games 6 to 12 months after release anyway. I've bought one new release in the last 2 years and that cost me £20

By the time I play a game released to the Epic store it will be available on Steam for a fiver, will have all the bugs ironed out and run better. I dont understand people who buy on release and pay full whack to have a poorer experience, no patience

Soldato
I imagine they would still go to the money/beneficial deal. A little like the football (and other sports) on the tv, terrestrial channels have the bigger viewer base than the satellite channel but the sports in question go where the big money is.
So if there wasn't a deal from epic where they get money or guarantee for xxx amount of sold games they gone to steam for their bigger userbase ?

They pick whatever option makes the most sense for them. They get a bigger user base off steam but they get a smaller cut of the sales and the money that Epic gives them means less they have to worry about sales and can invest it that in the game or their next one. If you don't like the epic store and will not buy from them, I understand that decision. However what I don't get though and I think it is a bit hypocritical is the 'anti competitive' argument. I agree that it is anti competitive but this has been going on for years yet nobody seemed bothered until now.
I think what bothers most is that epic is paying publishers to put their game in epic store, which had a bad reputation before with security leaks etc from what I have been reading in this forum which make people more bothered with them. And it don't really help that epic didn't put up any sort of "game lanucher development plan" until loads of gamers was were complaining on how lackluster their launcher are in all aspects. I mean you can open the launcher and browser side by side and there isn't much of a difference. :p Also, they said it would benefit the gamers with better prices, have yet to see that myself.

Soldato
Meh, I buy games 6 to 12 months after release anyway. I've bought one new release in the last 2 years and that cost me £20

By the time I play a game released to the Epic store it will be available on Steam for a fiver, will have all the bugs ironed out and run better. I dont understand people who buy on release and pay full whack to have a poorer experience, no patience

If everyone followed this they'd sell no games on launch, but I do agree, its what I do a lot, wait for sales, by time game comes to Steam, if it does, it'll be soon in a steam sale, and most of the bugs, and features, DLC added to a game of the year edition.

Soldato
I'm wondering why Ubisoft has ditched Steam for Epic when they have their own Uplay store. Is the Uplay store missing something that prevents Ubisoft from going alone, like regional pricing or things like that?

Ubisoft have not ditched Uplay as far as I am aware. Patrice Désilets left under acrimonious circumstances (he ended up back at Ubisoft after THQ went under), and now works at indie developer Panache Digital Games. That's where his new game (Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey) is coming from, which is what looks to now be the latest Epic exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom