ER-5 won't start (in the cold maybe)?

Soldato
Hi all

Got my new (1999 but new to me) ER-5 last night and unfortunately for me it had to be left out all night. It now won't start and turn over at all. Strange thing is it's had its carb cleaned and new plugs and battery put in (MOT was yesterday as well) so I can't think of anything I can do to it, anyone got any advice on how I can get her started?

Soldato
If it wont turn over at all then it sounds like the battery has discharged. Same engine as my old GPZ500 so they are easy enough to bump start.
Just read the battery was put in yesterday. Just check the terminals as it's not unheard of for mechanics to forget to tighten the bolts.

Soldato
OP
Battery looks like it was fitted properly, no idea what's wrong with it, unless it has discharged somehow. Or if I flooded the engine trying to start her but I tried not to *shrugs*.

Anyway AA should be coming over at somestage, benefits of home start (if they get it working)!

Soldato
Just reread the OP, It is most likely a flat battery, read the bit where you had MOT yesterday, twice i've had an MOT done and next day the battery is flat, I swear they leave them with ignition on for testing the lights then never bother to turn them off! I would bet its that plus the cold = dead battery, give it a good charge overnight if you can or now might be a good time to buy an optimate :)

Soldato
It's not something silly like needing to pull the clutch in when you start it is it? (yes, I made that mistake on my SV......)

I test rode an SV and I know the dealer so he just sort of leaves me to it if I ever test ride something, it took me about two minutes to work that one out :D

I've only had one Kawasaki but it didn't need the clutch pulled in. It was an '03 bike though so possibly not the same?

Associate
essentially a gpz500 so i'll assume its the same electrical set up.

If it clicks then or if the lights on teh dash go very dim when trying to start its a dead battery or a dodgy connection to the battery or heavy cabling (earth's are favourites for being crap on these)

If it switches on (ie dash lights) but does nothing when trying to start then try this in order - i've been riding for MANY years but still forget the simple stuff sometimes :p

Is the kill switch in Run?
Is it in Neutral? (you should be able to start in gear with clutch in and kickstand up though)
Has the bike got an immobilaser/alarm? if so is it off?
Check the starter fuse - should be left hand side of bike as you sit on, fuse should be under the starter solenoid 30amp green blade

The starters themselves do suffer from failed clutches - if it was this the thing would just spin like crazy and do nothing... you'd notice it for sure

Soldato
OP
Turned out the battery was just flat, got her jumped and rode her (first time on anything over 125 eek!) and now she's working fine. On thursday she didn't start up first time and I got worried it was the same thing ie a dodgey battery but upon closer inspection it was just because the lights were on when I was trying to start her (they were off the first time before anyone says I made a noob mistake :p) and she started fine!

Got heated grips fitted today too so iamdjdz is one happy fella!

Soldato
Sounds like you might have a problem charging the battery if that happened again. Fitting heated grips is likely going to make that more problematic.

Could be worth getting the battery votage tested so make sure the alternator is working properly.

Glad it's going though!

Back
Top Bottom