Erro Pro 6e as primary router

Associate
Anyone have any experience of the Eero Pro 6e? I'm coming to the end of my FTTP contract with TalkTalk (currently on their intro offer from when they launched full fibre which seems to have no CPI increase but am assuming I'll lose that).
The service has been great, not had to call them once, I get the full 500mb on WiFi 5. decreasing throughout the house of course.
I'm looking at the 500mb service via Giganet at only £2 more than I'm paying currently, continued no CPI is attractive. They offer the Eero Pro 6e router.
Current router is the Sagemcom Fast 5364 that came as part of the service, my TV is cabled (largely because I used it for small amount of gaming via Stadia which will be no more in a few weeks. I almost certainly won't continue with a different service) and my work kit in the garage extension for which WiFi struggles to penetrate.

I've looked at moving to Aquis as well and buying my own router but tbh my needs are not that sophisticated, I could live with the one free ethernet port for the work device and switching the TV to WiFi. Preferably I'd have liked something more configurable ( the Sagempro is poor in this respect too but at least it lets me split the network into 2.4 and 5 GHz.) That could change and I'd have preferred more network ports but then again I suspect I can move with just one for some time.

Thoughts? £37 a month, no router to buy and one that is not a heap of ugly Ariels is appealing. It's a small compromise but the reality it covers my fairly basic needs. I don't really want or need a Mesh network, WiFi reaches everywhere I need it on the house albeit needs 2.4ghz in the far reaches and where it doesn't i've hard wired.

Soldato
Add a £14 TP-link gigabit switch and you can just have what you have now.

Eero are fine. I’m sure you’ll be pleased with the upgrade. Wifi6 alone is a significant upgrade and this is WiFi6E. If you have any 6E devices then they can quite literally be faster than a 1GbE cable if you’re in the same room.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Perfect, cheers that's largely what I'd hoped. My two use cases are reliability to the extension via network cable and it was low latency to my Chromecast with Google TV so I could use Stadia reliably but given that's closing in a few weeks I'm not so bothered about retaining a cabled connection to that.

Think Giganet will do the trick as my next isp and agreed WiFi 6 and 6e is a nice bonus.

Thanks

Associate
OP
I'd guess it probably would be tbh, but given my use case for me personally I think it's probably a step up from what I have. I'd have liked more ports and more configurability but I think my wife would balk at something with a bunch of ariels sticking off it where the ont resides. Equally am not expecting WiFi 6e to fix existing dead zones but what dead zones I have I can live with..

Associate
As long as there's no gotchas... Privacy concerns was the only one I could think of
It's quite a small neat little thing, compared to the Asus with arials sticking out of it it's true lol. I did tell my ISP not to send me a router, but I also told them not to send Engineers out to my house by phone and email and 2 turned up today to fit fibre I already have .

Soldato
got one free with my ISP, not used it. thought it would be inferior to my ASUS router?
That depends on which ASUS router you have. If it’s the very latest and greatest with 6GHz WiFi6E then it might not be as good.

Eero being Amazon are basically being sold as loss leaders and they’re very well specified for the money. If it’s free then even better!

Associate
Its
That depends on which ASUS router you have. If it’s the very latest and greatest with 6GHz WiFi6E then it might not be as good.

Eero being Amazon are basically being sold as loss leaders and they’re very well specified for the money. If it’s free then even better!
It's an Asus rt-ax86u I know it's wifi 6. I'll give it a go if you recon its better?

Soldato
got one free with my ISP, not used it. thought it would be inferior to my ASUS router?
A dog turd wouldn't be inferior to an Asus router. I would literally rather have no Internet. They're buggy, insecure PoS; but on the plus side they do support third party firmware quite well.

Eero Pro 6E are one of the best consumer all-in-one type routers you can get. They have strong WiFi and built in SQM capable of running at full gigabit - something almost no other consumer router can do, including anything from Asus or Ubiquiti.

Associate
A dog turd wouldn't be inferior to an Asus router. I would literally rather have no Internet. They're buggy, insecure PoS; but on the plus side they do support third party firmware quite well.

Eero Pro 6E are one of the best consumer all-in-one type routers you can get. They have strong WiFi and built in SQM capable of running at full gigabit - something almost no other consumer router can do, including anything from Asus or Ubiquiti.
Not a fan then lol. I am surprised as it seems to get good reviews. I'm going to try the eero pro 6e if it works fine then might sell the Asus. If not sell the erro 6e didn't realise they sent me a quite expensive router free

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a fan then lol. I am surprised as it seems to get good reviews. I'm going to try the eero pro 6e if it works fine then might sell the Asus. If not sell the erro 6e didn't realise they sent me a quite expensive router free
Asus' security record is included below for your consideration:

Yeah, that good(!). They have lied and cheated, refused to fix security issues which left hundreds of thousands of customers vulnerable, ignored security researchers, lied to the government (US) and ended up on a 20 year mandatory audit/supervision scheme to be allowed to sell products any more. I wouldn't trust them with your bargepole. Just search 'Asus FTC' and you'll be able to read the full investigation, ruling and associated commentary. Like this one. Honestly, anyone who has an Asus router would do well to flash it to decent third party firmware and never buy Asus again.

Soldato
Just jumping in, I've seen a few Eero 6 for sale, it's just 1 unit right? Thinking of using that and putting my Zyxel 5G router on bridge mode. How's the app?

Last edited:
Associate
Gave the EERO6 PRO E a try, seems ok, no different to the Asus over Ethernet. Wireless seems about the same, maybe a bit worse. Think I might as well reset it and flog it as I see no benefit for what I do with it.

Back
Top Bottom