Erroneous debit from bank account

Associate
Just a heads up; very bizarrely saw a debit for £1 on my account Westminster Parkin Fines London.
Given I live in a different county / not driven my car since lock down, seemed rather odd. A fine of £1 seems out of place too.
I suspect the local council also would not have a payment account called this rather it would be some pooled account.
The amount was debited in the early hours of the morning.
Card has been cancelled for now

Any idea how the OP's card details got leaked by an unknown party? Especially in 2020 when we're encouraged to use Android/Apple Pay more since the covid outbreak with the new £45 limit, and thus avoiding using the actual plastic?

In 2007 (before contactless), €300 was debited from an overseas cashpoint, at a time when I was last overseas in 2003, so 4 year difference. I never got to the bottom of how my card details got leaked, but I did get the money back after about week. The worst thing about it that it happened on Christmas Eve.

Caporegime
I had something similar few years back. Tiny transaction from ticket master.
Rung Amex, they cancelled card and refunded. Never happened again

Soldato
Any idea how the OP's card details got leaked by an unknown party? Especially in 2020 when we're encouraged to use Android/Apple Pay more since the covid outbreak with the new £45 limit, and thus avoiding using the actual plastic?

In 2007 (before contactless), €300 was debited from an overseas cashpoint, at a time when I was last overseas in 2003, so 4 year difference. I never got to the bottom of how my card details got leaked, but I did get the money back after about week. The worst thing about it that it happened on Christmas Eve.
There’s no limit on Apple Pay, not sure about android pay.

Commissario
I had something similar few years back. Tiny transaction from ticket master.
Rung Amex, they cancelled card and refunded. Never happened again
Small buys are often done to try and check the card is valid.

When one of my cards was compromised a few years back I (along with hundreds/thousands of other users of a particular Canadian DVD store) found out by spotting a charge for something like $2.49 from a US museum/art galleries coffee shop.
Another favourite back before the mobile phone companies started caring about basic card processing security, was that to check a card was valid the criminals would top up a PAYG sim (IIRC there was also an organised scam where stolen cards had the money laundered using banks of PAYG phones dialing premium rate numbers run by the people organising it).

Caporegime
Small buys are often done to try and check the card is valid.

When one of my cards was compromised a few years back I (along with hundreds/thousands of other users of a particular Canadian DVD store) found out by spotting a charge for something like $2.49 from a US museum/art galleries coffee shop.
Another favourite back before the mobile phone companies started caring about basic card processing security, was that to check a card was valid the criminals would top up a PAYG sim (IIRC there was also an organised scam where stolen cards had the money laundered using banks of PAYG phones dialing premium rate numbers run by the people organising it).

Indeed

Anytime I pay at the pump for petrol, they initially charge £1 for a few days on the card, until it updates.

Caporegime
Indeed

Anytime I pay at the pump for petrol, they initially charge £1 for a few days on the card, until it updates.
I don't get that because the money goes directly as payment processing and on hold unavailable to the bank account owner anyway when you pay by debit card?

or is this some non visa card?

Soldato
I don't get that because the money goes directly as payment processing and on hold unavailable to the bank account owner anyway when you pay by debit card?

or is this some non visa card?

Happens with every type of card when you pay at pump. £1 is basically a pre-authorisation amount then the full amount leaves your bank about 2 days later.

Soldato
About 10 or 11 years ago my card details got used by someone to book flights via TravelPack. No idea how they got them but I got it refunded. I later found my card details along with my address and landline phone number on some Russian forum. In fact they are still there to this day when I google my landline number. Obviously the card details are no longer valid.

Back
Top Bottom