Error Code -36

Associate
Howdy Team,

I'm having quite a frustrating issue with an HDD that has been put in a 2011 15" Unibody Macbook Pro - Its in the Disk Drive using a dual drive adaptor so as to remove the optical drive and make it an SSD.

The machine currently runs an existing Kingston SSD, and the additional drive is a Samsung 840 Pro, which is 100% working as its just come out of another machine.

Whilst OS X can properly see the drive, It usually takes it a few attempts to format the drive, and then when it does I am still faced with the "Error Code -36" error - I have tried the internets reccomended Dot_clean command in terminal, which seems to make absolutely no difference - I am still unable to copy files to the drive.

I've been playing with this on and off for a few weeks and I am getting no where - Can anyone offer up any assistance?

I know the machine is a few years out of date, but its been rock solid for me for years and has been all over the world with me and not skipped a beat. Its had a few hardware upgrades over the years, but its taken them all without fuss.

2011 Macbook Pro 15" Unibody 2.2Ghz Intel Core i7
OS X 10.12.6 Sierra

Soldato
I could never get an SSD working in *both* bays on mine, all kinds of weird errors. Ended up with the SSD in the proper bay and spinning drive in the optiBay.

The problem you have with this on the 2011/2012 Macbook Pro units is that I’ve found SSDs just utterly unreliable in the OptiBay. They pause, stutter, and are just unreliable. In my current late 2011 unit for example I’d love to put another 500Gb SSD in the OptiBay - the problem is, it just doesn’t work. Nor does any of the SATA-II unit SSDs I have kicking around.

Associate
OP
Is this due to lack of support for SATAIII on the optical bay? Seems bizarre I can see the drive, and copy random bits to it, but not whole folders.

Soldato
Is this due to lack of support for SATAIII on the optical bay? Seems bizarre I can see the drive, and copy random bits to it, but not whole folders.

Not sure tbh, never really pursued it. Tried tons of different drives in there, but just always had tons of problems with it. Ranged from the drive just not being there sometimes, to copy performance issues, data missing, not being able to copy data back etc.

Associate
OP
So, I dropped the original 500GB spinning disk HDD into the caddy for the disk drive, worked first time, no issues. Ill just stick with the 500GB spinning disk drive in there then!

Back
Top Bottom