Essential maintenance bits and garage tools

Soldato
The draper pen style devices are my favourite. I leave mine under the seat of the motorcycle.
I hate those ones, never can get a consistent reading! I have a topeak digital one, technically it's an MTB one but it does both valve types and gives consistent readings. Also allows you to bleed off air while updating the pressure. Oh and you can switch between bar/psi etc for those Italian bikes which have their tyre pressures in bar on the swingarm :D

Man of Honour
I hate those ones, never can get a consistent reading! I have a topeak digital one, technically it's an MTB one but it does both valve types and gives consistent readings. Also allows you to bleed off air while updating the pressure. Oh and you can switch between bar/psi etc for those Italian bikes which have their tyre pressures in bar on the swingarm :D

Mine (I have 3!) have always been bang on, you just need to work on your technique :p.

It also has bar and psi on it, doesn't need any batteries, and fits anywhere you could fit a pen. Highly recommended.

Man of Honour
I think it's a better strategy to pick up bits as you need them rather than trying to get it all in advance.

Start with a basic tool set (I got the Halfords 200 piece set) and a bike stand (rear stand will do, but an ABBA style bike-off-the-ground stand is better) is all you need for most jobs other than consumables.
Agreed. I’ve adopted this strategy and over the years have built up a comprehensive set of quality tools. Because I only buy what I need when I need it, it’s not much extra hassle to spend a bit extra on something that will last.

However, the atypical tools which when I’ve needed I’ve really needed are:
Thin walled 16mm spark plug socket
Heavy duty chain breaker/riveter
Fuel “drip” for running the bike with the tank off
Brake piston removal tool
Extra extra extra long nosed pliers
Circlip pliers
Micrometer
Feeler gauges
“One man” brake bleeding valve
Reverse drills for removing seized or stripped bolts
A bearing drift with just the right shape
Cable greaser

That list is far from essential for maintenance - more for restoration and/or building, but if you’re planning to have them for a long time and you plan to do all of your own work on that bike then it’s not a bad shout as a guide.

My most used tool is a 50 year old huge flat head screwdriver. It is never used to drive screws but for poking, prodding, jimmying, persuading, encouraging, shifting and jamming, it’s perfect. Gets used more than the ever elusive 10mm socket.

Back
Top Bottom