Estate Agent and Gazumping?

Soldato
They won't care who they they sell to just want the most money.
I'd be disappointed in my agent if they didn't just try and sell my property for the most money, they work for me and wouldn't be doing their job very well if they were selective about who they sell to providing all are able to proceed.

People do seem to think getting a first time buyer is some great thing - half the time they get cold feet as the survey comes back and mentions a 1cm crack in a brick somewhere.

Soldato
Did the Estate Agent go to the seller and inform them of your family members offer and the seller accepted agreed to take it off the market or did they do that off their own back, if it's only just gone on the market and a desirable property then why would they not leave it to see some bidding war commence, to say they'll remove it and cancel all further viewings is strange in my eyes (they were probably just egging him on to formalise his bid) and not in the Estate Agents best interests as I believe the majority get paid a percentage of sold price.

This is not gazumping is it, surely this is being out bid, Gazumping is when everything is in place and contracts ready to be exchanged isn't it?

Soldato
I'd be disappointed in my agent if they didn't just try and sell my property for the most money, they work for me and wouldn't be doing their job very well if they were selective about who they sell to providing all are able to proceed.

People do seem to think getting a first time buyer is some great thing - half the time they get cold feet as the survey comes back and mentions a 1cm crack in a brick somewhere.

When I ultimately sell my house it will be me that sets the rules not the agent. I will dictate the viewing schedule up front, I will ask the agent for the information on all offers, and it will be me who decides what to do, not them. Obviously I'll want the best price but also I won't not be fair to any prospective buyer and I certainly won't be putting them against each other with this 'final offers' BS.

The way I would do it is to pick a buyer I like the look of, and focus on a one to one negotiation. For example if I believed I could get £10k more than asking I would just offer that to the prospective buyer and come to a deal. If that buyer didn't want to go there, I would go to the next one on the list.

I've been on the receiving end of estate agent BS as a buyer and I don't want to do it to others.

Last edited:
Soldato
When I ultimately sell my house it will be me that sets the rules not the agent. I will dictate the viewing schedule up front, I will ask the agent for the information on all offers, and it will be me who decides what to do, not them. Obviously I'll want the best price but also I won't not be fair to any prospective buyer and I certainly won't be putting them against each other with this 'final offers' BS.

The way I would do it is to pick a buyer I like the look of, and focus on a one to one negotiation. For example if I believed I could get £10k more than asking I would just offer that to the prospective buyer and come to a deal. If that buyer didn't want to go there, I would go to the next one on the list.

I've been on the receiving end of estate agent BS as a buyer and I don't want to do it to others.

So despite it being pretty much the industry standard on properties with multiple interested parties you will willingly ignore advice from the expert you've hired and likely turn down tens of thousands of pounds of extra money? The method you've described won't drum up the same value of offers that best and final will and it's the reason agents use it - they work for you and ultimately want to get you the highest sale price.

Soldato
For me though, the Estate agent sets an asking price, that gets met they you sell the house to the first person to offer that, as presumably the seller was happy with the price set. :confused: If it's advertised as offers over XXXX then that's different.

Don't get involved in stupid bidding wars etc, it only justifies the behavior of the sellers side further.

Soldato
For me though, the Estate agent sets an asking price, that gets met they you sell the house to the first person to offer that, as presumably the seller was happy with the price set. :confused: If it's advertised as offers over XXXX then that's different.

Don't get involved in stupid bidding wars etc, it only justifies the behavior of the sellers side further.

Nope. The price is an invitation to buy. If someone else comes in and offers over, or express strong interest, the estate agent can go to "best and final offers"/sealed bids.

Soldato
So despite it being pretty much the industry standard on properties with multiple interested parties you will willingly ignore advice from the expert you've hired and likely turn down tens of thousands of pounds of extra money? The method you've described won't drum up the same value of offers that best and final will and it's the reason agents use it - they work for you and ultimately want to get you the highest sale price.

It's hell for the buyer that's why.

Let's say I set my asking price at 250k. And I define two weekends in a row for viewing slots, say 6 per day so that's 24 slots give or take.

If there's loads of interest and I get say 5-10 offers (obviously assuming a buoyant market here) then I might consider I can get more money. And that's fine, and fair and I'm perfectly entitled to do that.

I wouldn't do best and final. I would approach each buyer and explain this:

"Thankyou for your offer on my property. There has been lots of interest and multiple offers around or above the asking price. I would like to invite you to consider increasing your offer and we will reconsider all offers when this is complete. Thank you."

Then when the next round of offers comes in, let's say they are all 10k ish higher.

By this time I will have got a feel for which buyers I prefer. For example one offer might be from a landlord who wants to rent the place out, and one from a family who wants to live there. I would approach the family and politely explain what's happened, show them the offers I have received and see if we can come to a deal everyone is happy with. I would be honest and transparent with them about what I'm looking for given the level of interest and offers on the table and give them the opportunity to properly think about it and respond, not be bullied into putting in a pie in the sky offer with no knowledge of other offers. They may not even have been the highest offer, but I would invite them to match the highest offer in that case.

Yes it might cost me a few k, but if the asking price was in the right ballpark in the first place then we won't end up far off the right value. And as long as I'm happy with the price and I can afford onward purchase then all is good.

If more people behaved like this we'd have a much less stressful buying experience. I have been on the opposite end of this as I said and won't do it to others, even if it does end up costing me a couple k.

Ps if the difference is tens of thousands, then the original asking price was set too low.

Last edited:
Soldato
It is folly of everyone else getting emotional about it tbh.

You are right but it's hard not to be. If you find a house that you love for whatever reason it is hard not to get invested in it. I've been there myself and lost out on multiple occasions due to best and final process. It's worked out ok in the end but I had to pay a bit over the odds to get the house I wanted. So yes the process works for the seller, not saying it doesn't, but I won't do it because I don't think it's fair.

Soldato
You are right but it's hard not to be. If you find a house that you love for whatever reason it is hard not to get invested in it. I've been there myself and lost out on multiple occasions due to best and final process. It's worked out ok in the end but I had to pay a bit over the odds to get the house I wanted. So yes the process works for the seller, not saying it doesn't, but I won't do it because I don't think it's fair.
You don't think it is fair that people get the price others are willing to pay? :S

I mean I get it is annoying, it cost me £10k. But I REALLY wanted this house.

Last edited:

You could have saved loads of us hours helping you on here by buying a house that wasn't a wreck ;)

Back on topic however, its also possible that the vendors, surprised at getting asking on first viewing, asked the agent to allow more viewings.

People love to hate on estate agents, rightly so, but its not them deciding on the actions, they are simply an agent (by law), and as such their legal requirement is to do their best for the seller.

Soldato
We're in a position where we have multiple offers over asking price. We are simply going to go with who the estate agent believes to be the most reliable purchaser rather than asking them to increase their offers further for two reasons: a) we are happy with the sale price and don't want to play any games with buyers to eek out a couple of grand more. b) we've just been made aware of a house across the road which was down valued a large amount by the mortgage lender (possibly as a result of a bidding war) which has now made the sale fall apart. Clearly we don't want the same to happen to ours.

Soldato
You could have saved loads of us hours helping you on here by buying a house that wasn't a wreck ;)
:mad:

And thats where I would walk away and we did twice, again out of principle. Everyone has a different view I accept that. :)
It is a bit of a make belief principle though. The house is for sale.......people offer what they think it is worth. This isn't a Tesco-sized transaaction. Really what you are saying is that you don't think the house is worth more than what was put up as an asking price and that is totally fair.

Soldato
:mad:

It is a bit of a make belief principle though. The house is for sale.......people offer what they think it is worth. This isn't a Tesco-sized transaaction. Really what you are saying is that you don't think the house is worth more than what was put up as an asking price and that is totally fair.
No we were thinking you’ve asked a price we have offered it, you moved the goal posts that’s your prerogative but we’re not getting involved in that.

Coincidentally both sales fell through… I like to think that’s the universe playing a hand.

As I said everyone has different opinions I’m fine with that.

Soldato
We're in a position where we have multiple offers over asking price. We are simply going to go with who the estate agent believes to be the most reliable purchaser rather than asking them to increase their offers further for two reasons: a) we are happy with the sale price and don't want to play any games with buyers to eek out a couple of grand more. b) we've just been made aware of a house across the road which was down valued a large amount by the mortgage lender (possibly as a result of a bidding war) which has now made the sale fall apart. Clearly we don't want the same to happen to ours.
The world needs more people to think like this.

Soldato
The world needs more people to think like this.
It is a bit at odds with your point lol. In this example the chap already had multiple overs over the price they wanted. Others involved would be asked to increase their offer if interested - which is the behaviour you didn't like.

Soldato
Did the Estate Agent go to the seller and inform them of your family members offer and the seller accepted agreed to take it off the market or did they do that off their own back, if it's only just gone on the market and a desirable property then why would they not leave it to see some bidding war commence, to say they'll remove it and cancel all further viewings is strange in my eyes (they were probably just egging him on to formalise his bid) and not in the Estate Agents best interests as I believe the majority get paid a percentage of sold price.

This is not gazumping is it, surely this is being out bid, Gazumping is when everything is in place and contracts ready to be exchanged isn't it?
More or less yes, but it is also before any contract exchange prep...

Soldato
You don't think it is fair that people get the price others are willing to pay? :S

Its the process I don't like. There are better ways to achieve the same outcome (negotiation) that make everyone less stressed. Will just take a bit more time.

An additional problem with best and final offers is its hard for a buyer to set a price. What if a buyer really wanted the house, and would have continued to bid up the property if it was an auction environment until the other person dropped out? But they put in their offer which is a few k lower than the best one and miss out. If you go back to them and tell them what the best offer was, they may choose to go higher again or match it. And the positive thing about that is that you have given them the option, which is better from a communication point of view.

I hate putting in blind offers. I would rather be told what the highest offer is, and given the opportunity to raise mine based on that information. More like an auction, with complete transparency for all bidders.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom