Estate Agents!

Associate
On Saturday we went into an estate agents and got some details of properties. At the same time we arranged for our property to be valued on Tuesday (yesterday)

On Sunday we found a property we really liked and on Monday made an offer. When they phoned back to say the offer was accepted subject to a fast sale they added they had found someone who was possibly interested in our property and wanted to come round to view after the valuer had been. Note, we have not signed anything with the estate agents at this point! Great I thought, very quick sale, even before going on market.

Tuesday night, the valuer came and gave us his valuation on what to market the property at and we haggled and got a fairly good deal again subject to this person buying the property otherwise a normal 1.5% would apply.

Got a phone call, from the estate agent office, 15 minutes before this guy was due to come to say he was delayed at work and won't make it. We were disappointed but shrugged it off. (We still haven't signed anything!)

The valuer is due to come back tonight to measure up and to sign the contract.

I am starting to get a little suspicious now that this person who is 'interested' in our property doesn't actually exist. and the estate agents are trying to tempt us into signing with them with a quick sale possibility! If I were this person and couldn't make an appointment for a property that will sell quickly I would have made an alternative appointment there and then.

Sorry if there are any estate agents who post here but I don't like them! I used to work in the business (in the IT side) and know full well that they are very greedy and/or under great pressure to sell and will do anything to get that sale.

What I think I am going to do is to sign the contract but insist that we are only tied to them for 1 week rather than their standard 16 weeks. We are only thinking of signing with them because we are buying through them and the commission deal is fairly good due to this.

Am I being too suspicious? What do people think?

Soldato
We get people arranging viewings all the time and either

1. Call us to cancel the appointment and give no reason (we don't normaly ask) or
2. Just never turn up

I will mention that it does seem a bit dodgy, how could they arrange a viewing for someone when they haven't got a price to give out, nore any further details.

Obviously things may work differently in your area but where I work, we don't tie anybody down. We do a valuation, if you want to use our services we then go back a second time to mark up and then send you a brief of the details which you can go over and then sign. You are free to withdraw your property at any time!

I would suggest getting 2 or 3 valuations from different companies aswell just to give you a general idea of a ball park figure rather than signing with the first company you use, even if you are buying a house from them.

Last edited:
Always be suspicious of estate agents. I lost out on a property even though I was the highest bidder. A cash offer came in lower than mine but they didnt even tell me that. Had no chance of increasing my offer. :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
JamesM said:
We get people arranging viewings all the time and either

1. Call us to cancel the appointment and give no reason (we don't normaly ask) or
2. Just never turn up

Aye, I guess this might be something like this - not good on the first one!!

JamesM said:
I will mention that it does seem a bit dodgy, how could they arrange a viewing for someone when they haven't got a price to give out, nore any further details.

I wasn't suspicious at the time, just pleased! Now I have had time to think about it..grrr :mad:

JamesM said:
Obviously things may work differently in your area but where I work, we don't tie anybody down. We do a valuation, if you want to use our services we then go back a second time to mark up and then send you a brief of the details which you can go over and then sign. You are free to withdraw your property at any time!

I would suggest getting 2 or 3 valuations from different companies aswell just to give you a general idea of a ball park figure rather than signing with the first company you use, even if you are buying a house from them.

Funnily, I cancelled a viewing tonight because I thought we could get a quick sale. The guy I cancelled with wasn't chuffed but I may talk to them if I don't hear anything by end of tomorrow.

I'm going to suggest this to the guy tonight that I am going to get other valuations. See if I can get the commission down even further!! :)

Back
Top Bottom