Esther Dingley disappearance in the Pyrenees

Commissario
I just can't believe that it's one man searching by himself that finds her when the police couldn't.
I must admit my immediate thought was cynically that if he'd killed her he would have course know where the body was. He wouldn't be the first killer to 'find' their victim.
Hope either way that her passing was swift and as painless as possible
The police etc would only spend a limited amount of time and resources on it, they don't have the ability or inclination to spend months looking so typically have an intensive search for a few days when the chances of survival are high, but then it becomes a lower priority and they might only follow up on potential sightings.

The boyfriend wants to know what happened, had the skills and presumably time and money, so spends the time looking long after the official search has finished (and quite likely covering at ground level areas that might have been looked at from the air*).

It's not overly surprising and similar things have happened many times in the past because for for the police it's most likely an accident and one incident of potentially hundreds they're dealing with at any one time, for the BF it becomes a bit of an obsession and the focus of his life.

There are dozens/hundreds of hikers and climbers whose bodies have not been found, or found only years later often near where they went missing but no one spotted them in the initial intensive searches and it's either been chance that a random hiker found them, or the result of someone who has decided to try and find them and spend the time looking (sometimes obsessively, sometimes at least partly as it's an excuse to enjoy their hobby).
I think it was a couple of years ago they found the site of a light aircraft crash in an American mountain/hiking area after several years because a local had taken an interest in it and had been looking whilst on his hikes, this was despite the fact that there was an an intensive search and rescue effort at the time and they were looking for something much larger than a single body.

*And it's extremely easy to miss something even at relatively close range if you're at the wrong angle, even from ground level (hence "fingertip" searches with lines off people a short distance apart in more hospitable grounds than a mountainside), let alone from the air.

Caporegime
@Werewolf my issue is more with how close to the trail she was found and how they have yet again failed to find her after the bone was found.
Seemingly it's an area that they've allegedly searched already as well.

Hopefully it'll all become clear.

Associate
Walked that route from French and Spanish side and its not difficult and very popular with several refuges near by.
A strange she was on her own and not with boyfriend walking?

Caporegime
Walked that route from French and Spanish side and its not difficult and very popular with several refuges near by.
A strange she was on her own and not with boyfriend walking?

It's in the link in the OPs post.

Experienced hiker Esther Dingley was on a solo trek through the Pyrenees when she disappeared eight months ago. Her partner of 20 years Dan Colegate was staying in a French farmhouse 100 miles away when she failed to return from her latest adventure.

During the month that Esther was touring solo in the Pyrenees, we still talked every day. We spoke, enjoyed video calls, sent chat messages and shared photographs of our respective days.

Spending time apart every now and then was something we'd built into our relationship after touring for more than seven years in a motorhome. As far as we were concerned, it was a sign of trust and a mature, healthy relationship.

Still, after a month, we were counting down the days to our reunion. "Just one more hike, because the weather is still so good," Esther had said. Within a week my world had fallen apart.

Man of Honour
She was travelling alone in their van (their only means of transport) and the bf was 100+ miles away in a different country. I guess the police have probably done a bit more investigation than that - maybe checking phone locations, speaking to witnesses, etc but he was ruled out as a suspect very early on.

I mean I assume the police, etc. have done sufficient investigation but that he was [staying] 100 miles away and she had the van doesn't mean he didn't do it.

I'm not implying it was the boyfriend here but if there was foul play in situations like this someone known to the victim is more often the perpetrator.

@Werewolf my issue is more with how close to the trail she was found and how they have yet again failed to find her after the bone was found.
Seemingly it's an area that they've allegedly searched already as well.

Hopefully it'll all become clear.

I get where you are coming from but one aspect with a situation like this is that someone close to the victim might know the person's decision making, etc. in a way the police and so on don't and be able to narrow down where they might have gone and why than someone who doesn't know them. Silly example but if they had a particular affinity for certain plants or animals which might result in them getting side tracked in a way that defies logic given the face value terrain to someone who doesn't know them.

Soldato
I mean I assume the police, etc. have done sufficient investigation but that he was [staying] 100 miles away and she had the van doesn't mean he didn't do it.

I don't know what exactly the evidence was but the question I responded to was "has he been ruled out as a suspect yet?" And the answer is yes, he has been ruled out.

Soldato
Presumably, he found the rest of the poor girl because the bone chipping gave him a nearby point to search out from. In the original BBC article he was searching a huge area. I expect they missed it the first time because of weather, possibly snow on the ground. The exact location and layout will probably say a fair bit about what happened (fell downhill from path or found cover near a path after an accident) and autopsies can still reveal things, even after decomposition.

Soldato
Its never smart to go hiking alone regardless of how experianced you are.

Anyone seen that "could you survive" show on netflix? People going for seemingly simple hikes and getting lost for 5 days, most end up being found by complete luck.

Caporegime
I agree that she should not have gone on her own but I would say the same for anyone wanting to do something similar.

I'm guessing and hoping it will be a tragic accident but like others have said, I do hope it was quick and she didn't suffer.

At least she died doing something she loved but poor girl.

Her friends and family must be in bits.

Back
Top Bottom