ESXi Version 5

Soldato
Just a heads up, its out today and i'm just installing it on my microserver. Apparently free licenses will be available at a later date, so you can just use the 60 day eval for now, and put in a new code later.

I wonder if it'll support the crappy software raid1 on this box now, we shall see...

Soldato
Cheers, downloading now. Is there a way of backing up VM's on ESXI4.1? Reason I ask is this, I want to install 5 fresh on a different pc then move all the existing 4.1 vm's over, does anyone think this is possible?

Soldato
Cheers, downloading now. Is there a way of backing up VM's on ESXI4.1? Reason I ask is this, I want to install 5 fresh on a different pc then move all the existing 4.1 vm's over, does anyone think this is possible?

Of course it's possible! Use something like Veeam FastSCP to copy the VM folders from their existing datastore to the new datastore, then go into ESX, open the datastore, drill down to the freshly copied VMs and double click the VMX file for each one. This will register them in your new instance.

Associate
Of course it's possible! Use something like Veeam FastSCP to copy the VM folders from their existing datastore to the new datastore, then go into ESX, open the datastore, drill down to the freshly copied VMs and double click the VMX file for each one. This will register them in your new instance.

This'll work just fine - you'll need to upgrade the virtual hardware and tools but that is trivial.

Associate
I just installed 24 GB extra ram (48 GB total) for this and an extra CPU in my home server. A month ago I did the "what is (not so) new" training to get certified for vSpehere 4. After that i can directly start to study on vSphere 5. My exam is planned for monday september the 5th.

I understand it is now also possible with vSphere 5 to create a 64TB VMDK without using extends. This is great for virtualizing fileservers.

Associate
I just installed 24 GB extra ram (48 GB total) for this and an extra CPU in my home server. A month ago I did the "what is (not so) new" training to get certified for vSpehere 4. After that i can directly start to study on vSphere 5. My exam is planned for monday september the 5th.

I understand it is now also possible with vSphere 5 to create a 64TB VMDK without using extends. This is great for virtualizing fileservers.

You're thinking of the VMFS datastores themselves where there is no longer the 2TB limit, unfortunately I think we're still stuck with 2TB as the max size for a VMDK itself.

I've just upgraded my Microserver from 4.1 to 5. Just going through the pain of storage vMotioning the VMs around so that I can create new VMFS 5 volumes rather than just converting the old ones.

Soldato
Boo. Looks like they've dropped support for some of the 2GB FC kit I use in my lab. Need to shell out actual £££ on supported 4GB stuff now :(

*edit* lies! It works just fine. Guess, it's just not supported officially.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just installed it on my HP Microserver. Wouldn't let me force a migration on account of VIB's (dunno what that is to be honest) so have fresh installed and will re-import virtual machines.

Associate
Can someone clarify exactly what product/executable/link from the VMWare site is ESXi free? And provide said link? I cannot understand the many product offerings.

Also is ESXi 5 free? It says the eval is a 60 day trial. Do any VMs created go belly up after 60 days or what?

I'd like to try this on a spare HP Microserver I have but I have no prior experience of VMware products, only used Hyper-V before.

What I ultimatly want to try to do is follow the Solaris ZFS VM on ESXi and see how that works out. I've been looking at napp-it but the ESXi start is what I dont understand.

Many thanks for any help.

Soldato
Hi,

You need the ESXi 5.0 installable CD ISO and the VMWare vSphere client 5.0.

The 60 day eval is of the full vSphere suite as opposed to the vSphere free hypervisor ESXi 5. The difference is in the license key which de-activates all non-free license features.

You may want to try the 60 days of free full functionality. On the other hand you may want to request a vSphere 5 hypervisor free license key and license it as the free edition via the vSphere client.

Just finished the install on my Microserver. Installed it to USB stick (8GB one) and run ESXi 5 off that. It didn't want to upgrade ESXi 4.1 so I did a fresh install and re-imported my vm's. Now just updated teh virtual hardware to version 8 (that comes with ESXi 5) and am finding no issues :)

Associate
Ok, I found the download links and registered for a free version license.
What size should I use for USB installation and booting?

I have a few USB sticks and just wondering if it needs much space when installed to usb to run. And I assume it will and can run from USB stick with good performance?

Permabanned
I must admit, I love the fact its so MUCH FASTER to use than 4.1

All the Vcenter responsiveness and Client responsiveness is great.

Just need to try the web interface now!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom