Ethernet Switch not providing net

Associate
Hi there, wonderin if u wonderful chaps could help me out, as me and 4 other people are in a spot of bother without internet.

Basically, we had wireless via a router, but we've been loosing connection, suffering from low speeds and now the net has been dead for an entire day.

So i tried using an ethernet cable directly going into my PC.
The net worked fine, hitting 10mb.

So my friend brought an Ethernet Switch... (Asked him to buy an Ethernet Splitter)

5-Port 10/100Mbps Ethernet Switch Kikkai Computers.

I pulled the modem into the Ethernet Switch, then pulled in my Desktop and my partners Laptop.
However only one system can have the net at only one time.
We also tried with one of the flatmates laptops, same story, only one could connect. (Depended on who's system was switched on first)

Now as far as im aware the Switch is only for Networking and LANs ?
Where as the Splitter is for dividing an net connection ?

I've been at this for hours trying to get this ethernet switcher to give the net to all the connected systems but nothing seems to work.

Any idea's ?
If you do, would you be so kind as to explain in some detail as i have little experience with networking and sharing net connections and the like.

Thanks a lot for your time Gentlemen.

I hope to hear back from you soon.

Pip pip!

Associate
You need a router, not a switch.

Basically your modem only will provide 1 pc with a IP address.

The router solves this by providing each connected pc a IP address via dhcp. and forwarding the internet connection to each connected pc.

Depending on your isp, you could try assigning each pc a dedicated IP from windows network control panel.

For example
(pc1)192.168.1.5
(pc2)192.168.1.6
(pc3)192.168.1.7

If that doesn't work, you need a new modem/router (I assume your on ADSL not cable). Such as This - Note - I chose that at random, so best do some research. However it will allow 4 people to share the dsl. (unfortunately most only come with 4 ports - luckily you can use the switch to gain more, as the router will provide additional IP's to device through the switch too)

- edit - I have no idea what this "splitter" device you have seen is, but I assume it's like a mini switch, and will cause the same issues, I'd avoid it

Last edited:
Soldato
As already mentioned, you need a router, not a switch. The only other option, is if one of the PCs has multiple ethernet ports you could connect the modem directly to that machine, and the switch to the other ethernet port. You can then enable internet connection sharing on the PC and it will act like a router. This is only usefull if you have 2 ethernet ports though, if you dont your ONLY option is a router.

Associate
OP
I bought that router, installed it and updated the firmware with tomato 1.25

I went to speedtest.net and im only getting 3MB, when with just the ethernet cable i was getting 10mb.

Any idea what the problem is ?

Caporegime
Any other devices on the network? Try with the wireless disabled and just one pc connected to the network ports.

Soldato
I bought that router, installed it and updated the firmware with tomato 1.25

I went to speedtest.net and im only getting 3MB, when with just the ethernet cable i was getting 10mb.

Any idea what the problem is ?

Yes, the problem is that you are using speedtest;) It could be a number of reasons. If you plug the computer into the modem again, do you get 10mb speeds?

Back
Top Bottom