Etsy...

Soldato
Not sure how they can Copyright a person's likeness.
If it's a character from the show then they'll own the copyright, depends how active they are in protecting their content but only takes a few reports to Etsy for them to close your shop.

Etsy has got a lot worse though, used to be handmade items but now it's any old tat from China

Soldato
OP
If it's a character from the show then they'll own the copyright, depends how active they are in protecting their content but only takes a few reports to Etsy for them to close your shop.

Etsy has got a lot worse though, used to be handmade items but now it's any old tat from China
Meh, I'm pulling my items from Etsy anyway.
The fees are double eBays even without the added offsite add fee.

Soldato
OP

In the UK we specifically don't have this but have something called passing off

The problem regards copyright is you're printing models of characters from a show which will have copyright/trademark protection
I doubt they will try and shut me down.
They don't make figures these days, especially life size busts.
So... unless they'd start, I'm probably OK to continue.

Caporegime
This is why the Avengers game has weird-looking characters instead of looking like their movie counterparts.

Whilst Marvel owns the characters IP, they do not own the actors' likeness, the actors never been paid to appear in the games so they have to design new faces for the game.

Soldato
OP
Well, Kryton looks nothing like the real person playing him so are your prints a likeness of the actor as he looks in real life or the character of Kryton as he appears on screen?
I'm not really bothered.

I like how this has become about copyright, when I can guarantee that these posters wouldn't care if the shoe was on the other foot. If it's clear direct copyright infringement, I'm against it.
When it's vague like this, it can go into the grey box it lives in. My models are sculpted by myself and also commissioned by myself. I technically own the copyright to my files... which have a likeness to TV show characters... sure.. probably wouldn't hold up in court. But it will never get that far.
Might start doing Micky Mouse prints In 2024 too...

So, I'll no longer be discussing Copyright in this thread.

Last edited:
Soldato
It isn't vague at all. You are literally in copyright infringment with what you are doing, especially as you've listed them with the character names.

Making something that is similar and calling it something other than the actual character would be vague as they would have to prove you knowingly copied their likeness and such.

It's why there are so many "space marine" prints that are called something else and slightly different to be in that grey area buy selling space marines would get GW to be shutting your store down.

Soldato
OP
I really wouldn't bother doing that for 15 quid.

Start a go fund me if you are that skint, I'll chip in.
I normally make about £22 profit after shipping.

This one from etsy will put me down as £10 profit, just worked it out.

But poop when the printer takes 2 days to print it... lol

Back
Top Bottom