EU cover

Soldato
Has anyone come across any UK or Irish motorcycle insurers still offering like for like EU cover?

MCE used to offer 180 days like for like cover in the EU, so if you had comprehensive cover in the UK you would enjoy the same cover in the EU for up to 6 months a year. Any subsequent trips or time after this would be 3rd party only.

This has since been pulled. A scan of the usual companies doesn't seem to throw much up.

I'm planing on buying a new bike and will most likely be spending a lot of time in the EU. Being new, insurance against theft is important.

Associate
As MatteH Oxford says, Carole Nash offer EU cover, just checked my documents; 'the cover under this policy applies in respect of events occuring in all member countries of the European Community and Croatia, Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland'.

MCE gave me two sets of documents last time I insured with them, one for pre brexit, and one for post, i'd have to dig it out to check the details if I still have that policy.

Carole Nash did quote me considerably more than MCE, but when I contacted them directly and asked them to beat the MCE quote, they did. They have a far more reasonable excess policy too (£75, and £200, as opposed to £1,250, and £1,500 with MCE for my bikes.).

Soldato
OP
Looking on the CN website now it says "But all of our policies allow you to ride in the EU with the same level of cover you have in the UK (at least up until the Brexit date 31st January)." It was only ever 90 days also which is pretty poor really.

The second set of documents that you got with MCE would have been Green card cover the EU, which is 3rd party only.

Associate
CN, and Bennetts both offer EU cover, and it's 90 days per trip, unlike MCE where it is 183 days per year. So provided your trip to France, is less than 90 days you are covered. Come home for a week, and go to Switzerland for 90 days. I don't know how it would work if you wanted to tavel through the EU for 6 months though, as a single trip.

Back
Top Bottom