EU + Vista = Trouble

Associate
Lets think of all the free stuff that comes with XP that I use regulary that I'll lose because of the bloody EU....

Windows Defrag,
Windows Media Player,
Internet Explorer (no Firefox Fanboys please)
Solitaire (how would the world cope?!?)
System Restore,
Wordpad/notepad
Calculator
Paint
MSN Messenger?

With these programs bundled into Windows we'd be paying a fortune for them,

I say the compromise is it release a barebones OS, for businesses/servers etc and
a full OS with the usual Windows add-ons to save the average home user some money

Associate
OP
Matt Van Dam said:
Lets think of all the free stuff that comes with XP that I use regulary that I'll lose because of the bloody EU....

Windows Defrag,
Windows Media Player,
Internet Explorer (no Firefox Fanboys please)
Solitaire (how would the world cope?!?)
System Restore,
Wordpad/notepad
Calculator
Paint
MSN Messenger?

With these programs bundled into Windows we'd be paying a fortune for them,

I say the compromise is it release a barebones OS, for businesses/servers etc and
a full OS with the usual Windows add-ons to save the average home user some money

Microsoft coudl sell the O/S without those things, and offer them as Freeware on their website - problem solved, but obviously only to people with Internet connection, or make them avilable on magazine cover discs.

As for Firefox > Internet Explorer 6. Only Microsoft fanboys love IE...If IE7 is better than Firefox at the time then I will use IE. As for Opera, the interface is hidious (sp?)

Soldato
NathanE said:

Speak to Novell about their NDS and look into the millions Microsoft has spent on lawsuits about patent disputes, etc. ;)

NathanE said:
I'm glad that's just your view :p Microsoft aren't trying "prove" anything. They are being bullied by the EU (as well as loads of smaller companies, like Real Networks) because there is free money in it. Nothing more, nothing less. Real Networks got a pay out to the tune of £500m last year... for a company of their size that has effectively ensured their upkeep for the next decade or two. Their executives are probably still in Hawaii right now...

As I said when it all started I thought Microsoft were trying the same tactics they used in the US investigation, unfortunately for them they lost big time and allowed the EU investigators to "punish" them. The way their lawyers kept messing about at the time made me think they tried to act bigger than the EU, who then turned round and said "enough is enough" and fined them.

It's ironic though that Real now make more money out of games/etc than they do the RealPlayer. :)

Don't get me wrong I like Windows and I'll use it over any other O/S out their just now, I just think Microsoft played right into the investigations hands over their antics in court. The one option I'd like to see out of all this is that we could uninstall the bundled software although it would be included as default. Then those that were more "tech-savvy" could choose their own solutions and uninstall the Microsoft product instead of just hiding it.

Anyway, looks like the original case is being decided: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4861282.stm

Last edited:
Don
they should just make their products (IE, Firewall, WMP, Defender) optional in the setup process, would be fine with EU then..

although maybe a bit of a hassle to keep security patches for all flavours in working order would be a nightmare

Permabanned
lowrider007 said:
Don't know what all the fuss is about :( ,

1. Get a yank version.

2. Their offer everything for free in a service pack that is down loadable.

3. If all these apps are missing and are not avaliable for free then there are plently of good/better free browers, mp3 players, defrag utils etc that you can download anyways.

The "fuss" is that the majority of consumers want something that does exactly what they want it to do straight out of the box. People don't want to scramble around downloading applications that they used to get as standard. The EU are currently acting AGAINST consumer interests...not for.

JimmyEatWorms said:
The "fuss" is that the majority of consumers want something that does exactly what they want it to do straight out of the box. People don't want to scramble around downloading applications that they used to get as standard. The EU are currently acting AGAINST consumer interests...not for.

Yes what your saying makes sense but *I* personly don't think its a big deal, I don't care if the apps come as standerd or not, whats mostly important me is the OS core it's self and it's stability as long as thats good then microsoft gets my money, otherwise it's like judging a house by it's funiture :)

Last edited:
Soldato
JimmyEatWorms said:

Here lies the problem that Real were complaining about, rather than what software was better, in the same way of Mozilla vs IE etc.

Microsoft made deals with OEM's to include their operating system on their desktops, which is fine by me. Unfortunately they decided to bundle stuff like WMP so that consumers didn't bother looking for alternatives so in effect damaged the RealPlayer-side to Real's business.

Now Microsoft are trying to get in on the whole music store/DRM thing now they're playing catch-up to iTunes and they'll have an advantage of tying the media player with Windows.

Fortunately for iTunes they have the whole iPod-fashion thing sorted so they don't need to worry much about Microsoft but you can see my point as to why bundling some software as default can be against consumers.

As others have said, make the software add-ons optional for users and I'd be quite happy. Unfortunately Microsoft are doing their usual protests and threats about withdrawing their software from sale, shame the EU called their bluff. ;)

Back
Top Bottom