EU votes against Net Neutrality amendments

I'm not sure whats worse. That the bill was actually passed, or that only 90 out of 751 MEPs bothered to turn up.

Same story in the States by the sounds of it, nobody wanted to know or get involved. Well apart from the "saviour" Bernie Sanders; he'll get Hillary'd into oblivion in the next couple of weeks I'm sure.

Clinton V Trump, making it easy to vote the first woman president in to the White House.

Alas I digress. :)

Caporegime
Pleasant.

Also, given the actions of businesses it's hardly that dramatic a scenario to imagine.

It won't happen though, you think any ISP would block/not offer HD streaming to the biggest video sharing site in the world and survive? Customers would leave in the millions.

As you say they are businesses they wouldn't do it, it would be suicide, that's why I think it's stupid to believe it would happen.

Caporegime
It won't happen though, you think any ISP would block/not offer HD streaming to the biggest video sharing site in the world and survive? Customers would leave in the millions.

As you say they are businesses they wouldn't do it, it would be suicide, that's why I think it's stupid to believe it would happen.

No, I think ISPs will chase exclusive deals with content providers and as a result the market will be made much worse for consumers.

It really isn't hard to envisage BT for example, making an exclusive deal with one of the most popular content streamers - lets use Netflix as an example - so that they offer Netflix cheaper than Sky, and locks Netflix into that same exclusivity deal so they charge Sky 20% more.

Caporegime

Since I referenced a product that doesn't even exist (BTTube) it should have been obvious that I was referring to a future marketplace, where ISPs are acting much more as content providers. Look at BT and TT if you want to see that happening today.

As content providers - or as Platypus says as partners to "preferred content providers" - they may well use their power as an ISP to advantage their own services/their partners services over competing services.

Anyway, perhaps YouTube is a very bad example due to the difficulty even Google have had monetising that particular service.

Something like Spotify, or Amazon Prime, would be a better example. If BT decided to become a competitor in music, TV or movie streaming, they could well decide to advantage their own service with better bandwidth. In fact why would that not be extremely likely?

Man of Honour
Oh right in which case we're in agreement.

Indeed.

It's patiently ludicrous the way the government expects people to believe they would leave records of wrongdoing intact for any possible future investigators to uncover, if records were ever created in the first instance. So called transparency only extends to what has been left to see, like any criminals evidence left behind will only be details that were overlooked.

Soldato
It's this aspect of the eu, corporatism and the huge democratic deficit that stop me being totally in favour of the eu, I'm more afraid of the petis bourgeoisie Brits though so I'll keep voting to stay in the eu :(:(:confused:

Caporegime
It's this aspect of the eu, corporatism and the huge democratic deficit that stop me being totally in favour of the eu, I'm more afraid of the petis bourgeoisie Brits though so I'll keep voting to stay in the eu :(:(:confused:

I'm equally divided on the issue. But one thing to remember is that a vote for the EU is not a vote for the status quo. It is a vote for more integration.

If anyone thinks that Britain can remain in the EU, yet resist the closer integration being pushed for by Germany and France, I think they will be proven wrong.

If we stay in the EU, then at some point down the line we are going to become a state in a federal EU.

And whilst I'm not saying that would be worse than leaving the EU, we simply don't know either way how it will affect us. Even business leaders don't know what the future will bring either way.

This vote/referendum is basically a gamble. We're being asked to choose between two future outcomes that nobody can predict.

Back
Top Bottom