Euthanasia need to be considered in UK?

Soldato
Honestly, I don't know.

Not everyone would want to take advantage of something like that anyway.

People mostly cling to life even when there is no hope.

But isn't the point that the option should be available to those that would want it?

Plucking a figure from the air, 99% of people might either die suddenly without intervention or want to cling onto life for as long as possible. Why would that need to change? But for the people that know they have no prospect of recovery and decide that they want a painless dignified exit (not choking on their own fluids or rotting away in a zombie state) why should they be denied that kindness? Or (perhaps worse) be left begging other people to risk breaking the law to help them?

Associate
No but a hospital might. They give it to you to relax you before an operation, so I doubt they’d worry about giving it to you to relax before dying
That would be something that would need to explored in conjuction with all the legal aspects this will entail.

Soldato
But isn't the point that the option should be available to those that would want it?

Plucking a figure from the air, 99% of people might either die suddenly without intervention or want to cling onto life for as long as possible. Why would that need to change? But for the people that know they have no prospect of recovery and decide that they want a painless dignified exit (not choking on their own fluids or rotting away in a zombie state) why should they be denied that kindness? Or (perhaps worse) be left begging other people to risk breaking the law to help them?

But is it worth going through the legal difficulty of all this for 1%?

And my worry, would always be, to what extent are relatives influenced by the Will? I have certainly seen cases where life support has been turned off and the partner went home and celebrated!

I don't know. It's difficult, for sure.

Last edited:
Soldato

And my worry, would always be, to what extent are relatives influenced by the Will? I have certainly seen cases where life support has been turned off and the partner went home and celebrated!

Well if you put it that way, of course people with no hope of recovery should be made to suffer for as long as possible and lose all their dignity.

What does any of this have to do with what money grabbing relatives may want? Surely this is about individuals being able to make a decision for themselves, not the grandkids voting to euthanise grandma because they think that when she dies they will get a new bike and a trip to Disneyland.

Associate

Yes it should be available to anyone who is in that situation. The legal side of it will be there to provide protection against abuse.

Soldato
Well if you put it that way, of course people with no hope of recovery should be made to suffer for as long as possible and lose all their dignity.

What does any of this have to do with what money grabbing relatives may want? Surely this is about individuals being able to make a decision for themselves, not the grandkids voting to euthanise grandma because they think that when she dies they will get a new bike and a trip to Disneyland.

But I can see situations where the relatives are pressurising the terminally ill to be less of a burden.

Associate
Hmm, yes, but, I can understand why the politicians want to leave it alone.
Other countries have it in place with all the safeguards, so why can't it happen here?
I have seen my mother-in-law waste away with vascular dementia and infection after infection. The day she died the wife was with her and she didn't go quietly, so that is on the wife's mind a lot. My father died of cancer and had to be given morphine for the pain in his last few days, again not very nice for the family to watch as we all took turns to be with him and my mum. If it had been an option we would have been able to discuss it. My brother-in-l has MS and is now confined to a wheelchair, I would like to think that he would have the choice of how his life was going to end,

Soldato
..... If it had been an option we would have been able to discuss it.....

Therein lies the problem.....

In fairness, I really don't know what the answer is. I understand what a horrible death is, for sure, but I am concerned that people are only considering one side of the coin. Maybe there is only one side. I remain nervous...

Associate

In fairness, I really don't know what the answer is. I understand what a horrible death is, for sure, but I am concerned that people are only considering one side of the coin. Maybe there is only one side. I remain nervous...
There is only one side the choice of the individual. Yes we would have had to do it for the mother-in-law as she had dementia, but most of the time through it she was saying she didn't want to be here or give me a gun and I'll shoot myself. The fact that there would be multiple discussions and meetings would limit any abuse

Caporegime
Voluntary euthanasia and physician-assisted suicide is legal in every part of Australia except the Northern Territory (which is ironic, considering most people would rather kill themselves than live there).

I strongly support this. It's taken us many decades to get here, and the legislation was passed very recently; between 2019-2023.

Last edited:
Soldato

Any doubts quickly fade away after seeing people rotting in care homes, no life... just waiting...

Maybe you see it differently.

Soldato
Any doubts quickly fade away after seeing people rotting in care homes, no life... just waiting...

Maybe you see it differently.

I used to visit someone in a dementia unit and the state of most of the residents there was grim. Vegetables slumped in a chair or just laying in bed all day, no longer interacting with the world. I currently know several people that have relatives in care who are past the point where they can recognise their own family. Some won't even visit any more as they find it too upsetting.

If someone has had the good sense to get their wishes legally recorded when they are still of sound mind, why should they be forced to spend their final days, months or even years as a zombie? Just waiting to die from the result of a fall, pneumonia or some infection they pick up in care?

Associate
I'm in favour of euthanasia, as are about 65% of the public according to a stat I seen on the news the other day (17% were against it). I've seen what cancer did to my dad. If I get a terminal illness that means my death could be drawn out and I'll suffer, I want the option to end my life. It's MY life, it'd be my suffering, I believe the decision should be mine. Yes, strict safeguards should be in place. It being legalised will happen eventually imo. The legislation is only going 1 way around the world, it'll happen.

Back
Top Bottom