Euthanasia

Soldato
Why in the modern age that we live in does euthanasia still have a blanket policy that is completely illegal?

My father in law has terminal cancer of the stomach, it has spread quite a lot. He has had a stent fitted to help him to swallow more easily. He has been given 6 months to live. The care he is getting in hospital is, to be Frank, subpar.
He can't keep any solids down and the hospital are trying to refuse him pureed food that he actually likes and can eat without issue.
He is in a lot of pain, is very uncomfortable, the TVs haven't worked for over a year apparently, so he is bored out of his mind as well. All he does at home is watch TV all day.

He has been in tears multiple times over the last couple of weeks to my partner, she has never seen him cry in her life ever. So she is understandably upset about everything.

He has said multiple times he just wants to go now, but obviously the law prevents it.

If this were an animal it would be legal to have it put to sleep at this stage.

Why does the law insist on making people suffer like this instead of letting them have control over their life?
It seems so pointless and cruel.

Soldato
OP
I certainly have, my father - however I didn't go and post on OCUK about euthanasia referencing in extremely poor taste that the telly hasn't worked in over a year.
How is it poor taste to mention the TV ?
This comment has me a little baffled tbh.

He is not in any way tech savvy, can just about send a text off his very old phone, doesn't have internet at home etc.
ALL he does is watch TV, its his 1 single comfort in life the only thing he can do that would help to take his mind off his situation, and he wasn't able to do that in hospital.

So he was just lay in bed all day, in pain, not getting the assistance he should from the nurses , not able to eat, in a noisy ward where he wasn't able to sleep properly.

It sounds to me like a truly awful existence to me and its not fair.
Even worse now they have discharged him without any homecare in place for at least 3/4 weeks due to staff shortages and he cant walk without help as he is too weak.

I just feel really sorry for him. :(

Back
Top Bottom