Euthanasia

Soldato
Why in the modern age that we live in does euthanasia still have a blanket policy that is completely illegal?

My father in law has terminal cancer of the stomach, it has spread quite a lot. He has had a stent fitted to help him to swallow more easily. He has been given 6 months to live. The care he is getting in hospital is, to be Frank, subpar.
He can't keep any solids down and the hospital are trying to refuse him pureed food that he actually likes and can eat without issue.
He is in a lot of pain, is very uncomfortable, the TVs haven't worked for over a year apparently, so he is bored out of his mind as well. All he does at home is watch TV all day.

He has been in tears multiple times over the last couple of weeks to my partner, she has never seen him cry in her life ever. So she is understandably upset about everything.

He has said multiple times he just wants to go now, but obviously the law prevents it.

If this were an animal it would be legal to have it put to sleep at this stage.

Why does the law insist on making people suffer like this instead of letting them have control over their life?
It seems so pointless and cruel.

Soldato
Sorry to hear about your father in law.

It is crazy. Like you say, we save our pets from dying in pain and yet we keep our loved ones living in agony for months. Sometimes it goes on for years, just existing but not living.

I really do hope it changes soon. People should have the choice to die the way they want.

Soldato
Dude, just because your terminally ill father-in-law says (on his death bed) he wants to die doesn't mean you need to start talk about euthanasia. My god get some EQ.

Rather than rant about it on an online forum, why not do something? Get him a tablet, fill it with memories, encourage him to write down his memoirs. FFS.

Associate
it's always a touchy subject because people have a gut reaction to it one way or the other.
My opinion is that nobody should be allowed to tell you what you can and can't do with your own body. Personally speaking i've already spoken with close family members about end of life procedures because the thought of being kept alive in certain circumstances terrifies me

Caporegime
It’s religion rearing it’s head again. Life is a gift from god and the sanctity of life, all that rubbish.

Same reason all the nuts stand outside abortion clinics hassling distressed young mothers and preaching rubbish.

Caporegime
Because it is open to abuse?

Many legal activities are open to abuse. That's why we regulate them.

It's illegal because death is still a taboo within our culture because we're still primitive and superstitious and not as advanced as we like to portray

It's not death that's taboo, it's the taking of life outside the context of war.

Soldato
That's such a cop-out excuse. There's plenty of rules/regulations/processes that could be put in place to prevent it being open to abuse.

Hospitals already do it but just in a painfully slow way by withdrawing food / water. It's ridiculous when drugs can make you slip away peacefully with dignity.

I doubt anyone who has witnessed someone in a painful end of life decline would argue against euthanasia.

Soldato
It’s religion rearing it’s head again. Life is a gift from god and the sanctity of life, all that rubbish.

Same reason all the nuts stand outside abortion clinics hassling distressed young mothers and preaching rubbish.

Nail being firmly hit on it's head right there in that comment.

To much of this world is run by religion, if you like it or not. A whole nation even puts 'in god we trust' on their bank notes. That doesn't help those dying in pain when compassion can ease the suffering and make the passing of a loved one more bearable.

Suicide is illegal and is punishable by imprisonment. And some say americans don't understand irony.

Permabanned
I thought people went to Holland or somewhere, where such procedures ARE legal? Very sorry to hear of your father's distress and of course that of his fanmily, I am all for dignity in death, and saddened to see this still hasn't been addressed by law sympathetically.

Back
Top Bottom