EV tyre wear

Associate
What's the estimated tyre wear of an EV compared to a similar ICE? Comparing the same vehicle should give a better picture. I've been told that having to change tyres at half the mileage compared to the same vehicle with ICE is not unusual?

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the estimated tyre ware of an EV compared to a similar ICE? Comparing the same vehicle should give a better picture. I've been told that having to change tyres at half the mileage compared to the same vehicle with ICE is not unusual?

Changed mine at 28,000 for an Ioniq BEV, and fried has the Petrol MHEV and his was a couple of thousand sooner than mine, totally depends on how you drive. Also the EV specific tyres are different compounds, I have Michelin E-Primacy.

I'll be driving the same way on the same roads so that is out of the equation. Is the Ioniq MHEV lighter compared to the BEV?

I've currently got a Q8 Etron, before that I had an iPace. Tyre wear doesn't seem to be anything different to the 5 series I had before them. My iPace had new tyres towards the end of its 3 year lease at 30k. Etron looks to be wearing maybe a little quicker but it's heavier.

Currently approaching 20k in my I-Pace and the tyres are still showing more than enough tread. Should make 25k which would be about 3k less than my previous ICE X1 and 4 Series. I had the fronts rotated to the rear at about 15k because even in an AWD the fronts wear out faster.

My wife has a C40 FWD and at 13.5k the fronts now need rotated to the rear. Should still last until about 20ish K.

All in all the tyre wear is only marginally worse than ICE due to the heavier weight. About 10% or so

Depends on tyres the most surely? I only go for premium tyres rather than hard/eco ones, I used to get around 10k from my M3 and i get probably a bit more maybe 12k from my model 3 (performance so 4wd drive, temporarily). I'd say they were a similar weight and I drove them the same, and same route. Probably same type of tyres too, normal Michelin ps4s.

Depends on tyres the most surely? I only go for premium tyres rather than hard/eco ones, I used to get around 10k from my M3 and i get probably a bit more maybe 12k from my model 3 (performance so 4wd drive, temporarily). I'd say they were a similar weight and I drove them the same, and same route. Probably same type of tyres too, normal Michelin ps4s.

Nope and the fact you are only getting 10k - 12k from a set of premium tyres is evidence of that fact. It is more down to driving style and the types of road you use. Lots of motorway miles, poor alignment or balance… or driving like a lunatic will wear out tyres substantially faster than someone driving on mixed roads sensibly.

I use premium tyres and get about 20k - 25k on essentially every car I have owned.

Nope and the fact you are only getting 10k - 12k from a set of premium tyres is evidence of that fact. It is more down to driving style and the types of road you use. Lots of motorway miles, poor alignment or balance… or driving like a lunatic will wear out tyres substantially faster than someone driving on mixed roads sensibly.

I use premium tyres and get about 20k - 25k on essentially every car I have owned.
I meant comparing EV tyre wear to ice tyre wear. Wasn't sure if that came across in my post. Obviously some EVs are very lardy (think the Audi's are especially bad for this) so that may have a bigger effect.

If you drive normally you should get pretty much the same wear rate as the ICE equivilent.

I think the issue was when some people first got EV's they loved the instant torque and did the traffic light GP at every junction and munched through tyres like no tomorrow, but if you drive it like a regular car they should last pretty well.

Your point seemed to be that it was mainly down to the tyres. In your example that you suggested premium tyres will not last as long as cheaper harder tyres (apologies if I misunderstood)

This is not the case because driving style will have a much higher impact on tyre wear than car weight. I had a lardy E-Tron EV and it still had decent tyre tread of about 4mm* at 17k miles. It was a lease and the dealership changed the tyres during its first 2 year service, even though they were perfectly fine. Obviously they were billing the lease company and it cost me nothing, so I didn’t question it. Had they been charged to me I would have been livid.

* UK legal limit is 1.6mm but I tend to replace at 3mm and that still get me ~20k

Last edited:
As others have said, it’s all down to driving style.

My old Model 3 was on ~25k and was on its original tyres when I sold it with plenty of life left on the fronts, rears were down to 3mm or so. I could have rotated them but I didn’t, if I had I think the whole set would have done 35k, otherwise the rears were due in the next 4-5k.

Same tyres as the poster above, Pilot Sport S but in 18” rather than 20”.

50% of my tryes suffer irreparable punctures , and never live to old age,
so cost of new tyres, if they were typically more (XL?) than ICE would be my concern.
e: or the ev has some obscure more costly tyre size, too - weren't i3's in that category.

Last edited:
We have a fleet of over 100,000 EVs and our data shows we aren’t replacing tyres any more often than comparable combustion cars.

If you floor it everywhere they’ll be used up quickly but if you drive sedately they’ll last absolutely ages.

Back
Top Bottom