EV tyre wear

We have a fleet of over 100,000 EVs and our data shows we aren’t replacing tyres any more often than comparable combustion cars.

If you floor it everywhere they’ll be used up quickly but if you drive sedately they’ll last absolutely ages.
That's the data we needed!

Out of interest is this through a delivery firm?

My 2020 Hyundai Kona is nearly on 40,000 miles and it still has the factory Nexen tyres on. They’ve still got a few months left in them! I drive in eco mode and most of my driving is on the motorway at 65-67mph.

Last edited:
Your point seemed to be that it was mainly down to the tyres. In your example that you suggested premium tyres will not last as long as cheaper harder tyres (apologies if I misunderstood)

This is not the case because driving style will have a much higher impact on tyre wear than car weight. I had a lardy E-Tron EV and it still had decent tyre tread of about 4mm* at 17k miles. It was a lease and the dealership changed the tyres during its first 2 year service, even though they were perfectly fine. Obviously they were billing the lease company and it cost me nothing, so I didn’t question it. Had they been charged to me I would have been livid.

* UK legal limit is 1.6mm but I tend to replace at 3mm and that still get me ~20k
Yea it was, but more the eco tyres must be harder as there's less friction which some EVs come with as standard. Thinking about it tyre width probably has an effect, if you have a similar weight and power than you'd expect narrower tyres to wear more. Think this is down a rabbit hole though :cry: . I tend to use the power more than others do.

Last edited:
Tyres on my Leaf last for ages, I replace them more due to nails than wear. The Audi Q8 tyres also look in good shape after a year and 12k.

The stuff you read about tyre wear from the anti-EV brigade is absolute nonsense. It's no different to any other car.

Last edited:
We have a fleet of over 100,000 EVs and our data shows we aren’t replacing tyres any more often than comparable combustion cars.

If you floor it everywhere they’ll be used up quickly but if you drive sedately they’ll last absolutely ages.
Haha, reminds me of the Family Guy insurance broker.
"Don't you think it's suss that people take out a policy and something happens a day later?"
"Not really, the data shows it happens all the time!"

I'm not 100% sure what leasing firm you work for, but it'd be lol if they were all just getting thraped and your datum point was like 6 deviations from a car wholly owned. I personally have a good time in my lease car knowing someone else is paying for the tyres :D

but by the same logic, if EVs more out tyres faster as a matter of course, you’d still see it in the data despite drivers traffic light GPing everywhere.

They would all be wearing out their tyres faster than a privately owned car but EVs would still wear faster than ICE cars if the statement was true.

We lease EVs and combustion cars - so there will always be customers who think “the tyres are included in the package” and go through them more quickly than they would if they were paying for them. Most customers though just drive their cars normally so it’s simple to compare ICE vs EV where we see little to no difference.

We lease EVs and combustion cars - so there will always be customers who think “the tyres are included in the package” and go through them more quickly than they would if they were paying for them. Most customers though just drive their cars normally so it’s simple to compare ICE vs EV where we see little to no difference.
Do you check battery health / history at the end of a lease?

I've read loads of owners forums advising people that if their EV is on a lease just charge it and leave it at 100%, degradation isn't your problem.

Changed mine at 28,000 for an Ioniq BEV, and fried has the Petrol MHEV and his was a couple of thousand sooner than mine, totally depends on how you drive. Also the EV specific tyres are different compounds, I have Michelin E-Primacy.

... and the budget for their replacement is similar to similar priced ICE ? ie. not ice £150 ev £200

You don't need EV specific tyres - any tyre will do (as long as it meets the speed/weight/XL etc. ratings).

Nope and the fact you are only getting 10k - 12k from a set of premium tyres is evidence of that fact. It is more down to driving style and the types of road you use. Lots of motorway miles, poor alignment or balance… or driving like a lunatic will wear out tyres substantially faster than someone driving on mixed roads sensibly.

I use premium tyres and get about 20k - 25k on essentially every car I have owned.

I would have thought motorway driving would be very low wear? Constant speed means you're just rolling, rather than exerting friction on the tyres due to acceleration/deceleration?

You don't need EV specific tyres - any tyre will do (as long as it meets the speed/weight/XL etc. ratings).

I would have thought motorway driving would be very low wear? Constant speed means you're just rolling, rather than exerting friction on the tyres due to acceleration/deceleration?

Where on any UK motorway is speed constant. ;)

Tyre wear increases at higher speed and on UK motorways with constant variation of speeds it will have an impact.

Though the worst tyre wear will be driving like you stole it on twisty B roads. Frankly the poster above only getting 12k miles from a set of premium tyres would indicate they like to drive on the edge a lot.

Assuming alignment is perfect which is unlikely

My Pirelli P Zeros on my Petrol Golf R lasted 24k miles. Model 3 Performance with Pirelli P Zeros is very close to 24k miles and have 1-2 mm left before they need changing.

I drove both hard, the Tesla is heavier and accelerates much harder, but I generally brake a little lighter (regen) and get zero wheel spin due the the significantly better traction control.

The tyre tread on my AWD Ioniq 5 was originally 9mm. On my (optional) 10k service the front tyres had worn 1.6mm and the rear 1.8mm. The brake pad wear was around the same, so potentially about 4yrs before tyres would legally need to he replaced.

Yeah, the ID.3's original tyres only lasted 12K miles, not sure what they where made of, but did 20K miles on the next set and plenty of tread when traded in.

The Tesla is on 7K Miles and oodles of tread left..

Back
Top Bottom