Ever looked up?

Soldato
Ok so I have been drinking but wow, the clear night sky is amazing.

I've been luckey enough to spend the easter weekend at my uncle's farm house outside Omagh. From here the lights of the cities are dim enough to see the stars properly, and what a show! All the dramas unfolding in peoples lives right now... underneith this amazing backdrop. How insignificant are we all, yet in our own bubbles we are everything.

Take a moment to look up

Cool story bro etc

Permabanned
All the time, looked up today not a cloud in the sky and saw 3 air planes in the sky, 40k feet just flying away, looked the size of an ant, couple hundred people on that plane watching tv, eating nuts = mind blown

Soldato
All the time, looked up today not a cloud in the sky and saw 3 air planes in the sky, 40k feet just flying away, looked the size of an ant, couple hundred people on that plane watching tv, eating nuts = mind blown

That boggles my mind a bit sometimes when I'm flying... sat in a big cigar tube all that way up in the air. I know it's completely everyday, but wtf how strange is it really. Clever stuff!

Associate

I second that. When you actually think about it, it's so strange to imagine.

Man of Honour

If that blows your mind then remember that scientists still don't understand how it is we can fly. There are a few theories, the Bernoulli Principle is one of them (think I have that right).

Soldato
No it is awesome. Even in the city I look up but you really do notice everything when you get rid of light pollution. It's impressive the difference.

There are very few places left in the UK free of light pollution. I've heard tales about people being able to see the milky way in New York during a power cut. There was a trailer for a film about this, i'll see if i can dig it up...

EDIT: Here you go :)

http://www.thecitydark.com/#/Trailer

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sounds sad but I probably spend around 20 mins every night/morning looking up. I go to close my window and can't resist standing there looking. The sky is simply amazing and something I think a lot of people seem to forget is right there.

Permabanned
Sounds sad but I probably spend around 20 mins every night/morning looking up. I go to close my window and can't resist standing there looking. The sky is simply amazing and something I think a lot of people seem to forget is right there.

I look up from my window and see a about 10 stars, I always end up thinking about how far away they are, about life, how long they have been there and that one day maybe everybody on earth with be dead but these stars will still be shining and that man has no input in life

Last edited:
Soldato
Went on a med cruise a few years back and when your out in the middle of the sea theres literally no light sources anywhere, including the ship apart from a few tiny ones on the side which don't affect your viewing straight up. Could see insane amounts of stars with the naked eye and the colours of nebulae etc. Never would get bored of looking at the sky like that.

Soldato
I look up every day/night i'm at work (met observer). Im always impressed by the vastness of it all. Millions of stars, just makes me wonder who else is out there? It always get me when see the sun and moon on summer morning or evenning.

Last edited:
Associate
I always remember when we went on holiday to Greece a few years ago and and there was a blackout for about 30 minutes, I've never seen so many stars and different colours, it was amazing. We all got comfy on the sunbeds and just stared up until the power came back on.

Back
Top Bottom