• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA 1080 FTW Thermal Mod made a difference

Associate
Would you recommend the EVGA 1080 FTW edition though? Im currently in the process of ordering, its either this or the EVGA Strix 1080

Soldato
My unfixed version with updated bios is running is idle at 24 c at 8 a.m with the heating turned off.

I suspect that with some better thermal paste I could knock a few degrees of that.

Its not an accurate reading, it idles normally between 27c min. to around 37 max. when running multiple apps, vids, photo shop etc.

Associate
I'm wondering why the power target is set to 97% on the OP's card and not 100% :confused:

I'm using the new VBios (no thermalpad mod) for my EVGA GTX 1080 SC ACX 3.0 SLi and I'm idling around 25°c, room temp is around 18°c.

Soldato
Just to comment. My older 980 idles around 22-23 degree. My room temp is around 17-18 degree.

I can see it being possible but the room temp would have to be around 15 degree.

Yes, my 24 degree reading was with the heating turned on for half an hour I just found out.

With no heating and a cold winter morning I suspect 22-23 may be possible with an evega 1080.

Who knows what could be achieved with the added benefit of some thermal grizzly and an open window:eek:

Soldato
Have I missed something? VRM temps an issue on the 1080?

Gamers Nexus article if you read it in a particular way everything is fine.

"This isn't saying EVGA is in the right. The card could have been designed better..."

http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/2691-final-evga-vrm-thermal-torture-test-and-analysis/page-3

Its also worth noting the article is refering to one specific card and cannot be applied to cards which are so far untested.

To claim the only issue here is that cards are blowing up looks somewhat close to a straw man argument intended to close down debate.

Soldato
9e49e0a4935b6a4686839719ec77dcf09a335c7010782a0ebf89443bd4ceae8d.gif

Soldato
Evega pushed forward the launch of the new cooler due to the v.r.m issue. Seemed the place to post.

A.C.X cooler does a fine job on mine, does not mean to say I won't get a new card.

Wait and see what comes with the updated classy.

Soldato
Really sucks for ACX3.0 owners IMO - now their cards are worth significantly less money if they decide to sell it on etc, regardless of how much of an issue this really was.

I think EVGA should have saved this new cooler/sensor design for the next generation, instead they are simply giving ammunition to those making a big deal out of this issue - why would EVGA improve the design so much if there was no issue etc...

Soldato
Dave2150;30494896 said:
Really sucks for ACX3.0 owners IMO - now their cards are worth significantly less money if they decide to sell it on etc, regardless of how much of an issue this really was.

I think EVGA should have saved this new cooler/sensor design for the next generation, instead they are simply giving ammunition to those making a big deal out of this issue - why would EVGA improve the design so much if there was no issue etc...

I doubt it will hurt significantly, as you say it's be hit or miss. Mostly the PC elite might, but most didn't even know it happened and it'll be forgotten fast just like all the other GPU's that have shared the same issue.

Soldato
I don't think it sucks, more interested in the potential of an upgrade than old history and hysteria.

What they are doing with the classified is yet to be seen. Be interesting to see if its worth the £80 upgrade fee.

"just how iCX will tie into company-wide products is more intriguing"

Watercooling is what interests me acx.3 classy is rather limited in that regard.

Back
Top Bottom