• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA 3080/3090 Faulty fan controllers design fault - Igor's Lab

Soldato
That's what I thought. It is a solid card as I'm still running mine from release day.
I gave my 4 year old 1080Ti FTW3 to my daughter recently when I got a 3090. Had no issues with it at all, and it's working great for my daughter too. Still an amazingly competive card for 1080p and 1440p.

Associate
As I said the kingpin is the only good card they have.

That's probably the best 3090 available but doesn't make the rest of their cards bad. Most AIB Ampere cards are just glorified FE cards anyway.

This particular issue seems to be with the 3090 FTW3 in particular and no evidence so far suggests it also effects the rest of EVGA's product stack.

The 3080/3070 FTW3 cards are most likely safe and still top tier cards even after this particular incident.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I have an EVGA 1080 (waiting for 3080 prices to come down). Similar issues happened with the gddr5 ram overheating and EVGA put out a new vBios and sent out thermal pads to people who requested them but I never bothered with the pads because I don't fancy opening up my card. Also the bios bricked my gfx card. I contacted EVGA support and had to prove I was the original purchaser and provide a shop receipt. A week later they emailed me a different vBios and got it working (apparently the first bios fix wasn't compatitble with AMD mobos).

My card is quite toasty (86 degrees when gaming) but other than that its the best card I've ever had

Associate
Are we witnessing the fall of German engineering? First it's all them cars from VWs to Audis, mercs and BMWs fiddling the emissions check now its EVGA cheating out om super expensive gpus so they can save less than a 10er per card on a card that likely makes them over 50% profit per sale...

Associate
As Purgatory already pointed out, RMA and good CS costs a lot of money.
While there might be an element of pride ("we designed our own fan controller and will use it especially since we bought tons to make it worthwhile"), this does seem to be old adage:
Penny wise, pound foolish.

Are we witnessing the fall of German engineering? First it's all them cars from VWs to Audis, mercs and BMWs fiddling the emissions check now its EVGA cheating out om super expensive gpus so they can save less than a 10er per card on a card that likely makes them over 50% profit per sale...
Are we talking about that well known Santa Clara, California corporation EVGA?

G J

G J

Associate
I still dont understand how people are still putting up with this, esp with the 3090 and the cost of the card and the reliability/thermal pads etc these cards shouldnt have to be fettled with and made to a high standard.

Dont forget apparently aftermarket 3090's at one point needeed to be £1400 over a 3090 FE for them to make a profit but hey you all kick off when Hardware Unboxed dont recieve free review samples from Nvidia but this situation people and the tech press just seem to bend over and accept it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom